Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 7:31pm.
Mira, Noreen and Olivia each have 20 pretzels. After Mira gives Noreen p pretzels and Olivia gives q pretzels, the ratio of Mira's pretzels to Noreen's pretzels to Olivia's pretzels is 5:9:6. What is p + q?
- MATH - Jai, Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 7:39pm
After they give pretzels,
M: 20 - p
N: 20 + p + q
O: 20 - q
What we can do here is add all of them and equate them to the sum of the ratio multiplied by a certain factor, say x:
(20 - p) + (20 + p + q) + (20 - q) = (5+9+6)x
The p's and q's will all be cancelled and we're left with,
20 + 20 + 20 = 20x
60 = 20x
x = 3
Therefore, after they give their pretzels, they have
M: 5*3 = 15
N: 9*3 = 27
O: 6*3 = 18
15 = 20 - p
p = 20 - 15
p = 5
18 = 20 - q
q = 20 - 18
q = 2
Therefore, p + q = 7.
Hope this helps~ :3
Answer this Question
- physics - B. You can get 28 oz of spicy pretzels for $4.40, or you can get 16 oz...
- math - it costs mr kringle $10 to make 100 gaint pretzels for his bakery. if he ...
- English - Does Pretzels have fat? they only have 4 grams of fat! hope this helps...
- algebra (word problem) - you are in charge of bringing snacks to a picnic. you ...
- statistics - Suppose a manufacturer claims that each family-size bag of pretzels...
- English - 1. They also sell big,soft pretzels. 2. They also sell big soft ...
- Algebra - The profit, y, be selling x pretzels is found by the formula y = -0....
- Math. - Ashanti and Maria went to the store to buy snacks for their back to ...
- math - The staff at the pretzel shop bakes eight trays of twelve pretzels each ...
- English - 1. He is drinking some drinks. 2. He is eating drinks, hotdogs and ...