Posted by Anonymous on Monday, September 16, 2013 at 3:54pm.
Right traingles C and D share a leg. If the ratio of the area of traingle C to the area of traingle D is 5:9, Cís hypotenuse is of length 25, and Dís hypotenuse is of length 39, what is the area of C?
- Triangles - Reiny, Monday, September 16, 2013 at 5:00pm
For the non-shared legs,
let the shorter be x and the longer be y
let the length of the shared leg be h
so x^2 + h^2 = 25^2 and y^2 + h^2 = 39^2
h^2 = 625-x^2 and h^2 = 1521 - y^2
625 - x^2 = 1521 - y^2
y^2 - x^2 = 896
Also, (1/2)xh /(1/2)yh = 5/9
x/y = 5/9
9x = 5y
x = 5y/9
y^2 - 25y^2/81 = 896
81y^2 - 25y^2 = 72576
56y^2 = 72576
y^2 = 1296
y = Ī 36 , rejecting the negative, since we can't have a negative length of a line
y= 36, then in x=5y/9 -------->
take it from here
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - find the area of right traingle of base 1.2m and hypotenuse 3.7.
- geometry - a right traingle has legs of lengths 3 centimeters and 5 centimeters...
- Geometry - I need help in this problem: A 14-foot ladder is leaning against a ...
- Geometry - Which is the hypotenuse-leg theorem? A. If the hypotenuse and one leg...
- math - I have 14 questions and I was wondering if someone could check my answers...
- Math Algebra - The length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 30 m. The ...
- Math - 1) The hypotenuse of an isosceles right triangle is 8 cm longer than ...
- math/geometry - complete the statements: To find the length of the hypotenuse of...
- GEOMETRY - I'm working on a story problem that is using 30-60-90 triangles. I ...
- MATH - a traingle has an area 48 square cm and its shorter sides have lengths ...