Posted by Anonymous on Monday, September 16, 2013 at 12:29pm.
You are buying gifts for 10 people. You decide to buy each person either a CD or a DVD. A CD costs $12 and a DVD costs $20.
Write and simplify an expression in terms of c for the total cost of all the gifts you buy.
My answer- My expression is 12c + 20(10-c). When I use the distributive property, I get 12c + 200 - 20c. Now, when I simplify this even further, I get 32c + 200, which is not making sense.
Math - Steve, Monday, September 16, 2013 at 2:19pm
you should subtract that 20c, making
note if c=0 all gifts are dvd's, costing 200.
Then since cd's are $8 cheaper, you save $8 for each cd bought.
Math - Anonymous, Monday, September 16, 2013 at 2:33pm
Thank you. Also, the problem asks about what properties of real numbers I used to solve this problem. So far, I am only seeing the distributive property. Is this the only one used?
Math - Steve, Monday, September 16, 2013 at 3:12pm
I suppose associative is also involved, since we have to use it to rearrange the
then distributive again to get
do you have some property that equates adding a negative and subtracting a positive?
Math - Anonymous, Monday, September 16, 2013 at 3:16pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - it costs $12.50 to see a movie at a theater near jason's house. it only ...
- math - It costs $12.50 to see a movie at a theater near Jason's house. It costs ...
- maths - costs $12.50 to see a movie at a theater near Jason’s house. It costs ...
- Algebra story problem, check please? - Dan purchases dvd's from a website, each ...
- Math help - A DVD store charges $4.70 for each day, d, a DVD is rented. The ...
- Alg.2 - The membership to your local video store is flat rate of $10/year and ...
- Algebra - Amir has $100 and is saving $5 per week to buy a new DVD player. Pete ...
- math - A video rental company offers a plan that includes a membership fee of $8...
- Math - A video rental company offers a plan that includes a membership fee of $6...
- statistics - Four percent of DVD players manufactured by an electronics company ...