Posted by p on Sunday, September 15, 2013 at 8:01am.
A plane flies in a direction of N70°E for 80 km and then on a bearing of S10°W for
a How far is the plane from its starting point?
b What direction is the plane from its starting point?
trg - Reiny, Sunday, September 15, 2013 at 8:59am
I will convert the directions to vectors using conventional angles
first leg: (80cos20° , 80sin20°)
2nd leg: (150cos260° , 150sin260°)
= (80cos20° , 80sin20°) + (150cos260° , 150sin260°)
= (49.128, -120.3596)
magnitude = √(49.128^2 + (-120.3596)^2) = 130 km
tanØ = -120.3596/49.128
Ø = -67.8° or 292.2°
S 22.2° E
trg - Reiny, Sunday, September 15, 2013 at 9:09am
Make a sketch , let the original position be A, end of first leg B, and C the final position.
I have a triangle ABC with angle B = 60°
AB = 80 and BC = 150
by the cosine law:
AC^2 = 80^2 + 150^2 - 2(80)(150)cos60
AC = √16900 = 130
by sine law:
sinA/150 = sin60/130
sinA = 150sin60/130 = .99926
angle A = 87.8°
looking at your diagram, subtracting 20° yields the same angle of 67.8° as in my first solution.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math Trigonometry - A plane flies in a direction of 85° from Chicago. It then ...
- Trig - A plane flies 1.3 hr at 100mph on a bearing of N40degreesE. It then turns...
- Math - a plane flies 1.5 hours at 110 mph on a bearing of 10°. it then turns and...
- Science Physics - An air plane flies 20 km in a direction 60 degree west of ...
- math - A plane flies 90km on a bearing 030 degree and then flies 150km due east...
- MATHS - A PLANE FLIES 120km on a bearing of 045 and then flies 150km due east....
- DamotAk mathematecs - A plane flies 90KM on a bearing 040 and then flies 90KM ...
- Maths - A plane flies a course of 346 degrees and then turns through 30 degrees...
- Mathematics - A pilot flies a plane that averages approximately 210 km/hr. The ...
- trigonometry - A plane flies due south from an airport for 92 miles, and then ...