Posted by luckybee on Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 6:05pm.
Sandra spent one-fifth of her money and loaned one-third of the remainder to her brother. She had $24 left. How much did she begin with?
math working backwards - Steve, Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 6:53pm
m - 1/5 m = 4/5 m
4/5 m * 1/3 = 4/15 m
m - 1/5 m - 4/15 m = 24
m = 45
math working backwards - luckybee, Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 7:10pm
When working backwards we first need to deal with 1/3. so since it says 1/3 of the remainder, does this mean to divide 24 by 1/3
math working backwards - Steve, Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 11:08pm
if r is the remainder, then
24 = 2/3 r
r = 36
r = 4/5 m, so
m = 5/4 * 36 = 45
math working backwards - luckybee, Sunday, September 15, 2013 at 2:00am
I understand thank you.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Sandra spent one-fifth pf her money and loaned one-third of the remainder...
- math - Gopal spent three fifths of his money in the first week and one third of ...
- math - dara spent 25% of his money in one shop , he spent 33 1/3 of the ...
- Algebra POW #10 - Amanda worked hard all summer. Before school started,she ...
- Math - A woman spent two third of her money. She lost two-third of the remainder...
- Math - A merchant visited 3 fairs. At the first, he doubled his money and spent...
- math - an antique dealer visited three shops.she spent 25$ at the first shop.at ...
- Geometry - An antique dealer visited three shops. She spent $25 at the first ...
- Algebra - I need help with this like really badly sooo yeahhhh:) here it is: ...
- Math - An Antique dealer visited three shops. she spend $25 at the first shop. ...