Posted by MS on Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 1:47am.
Eq of curve is y=b sin^2(pi.x/a). Find mean value for part of curve where x lies between b and a.
I have gone thus far-
Integral y from a to b=b/2(b-a)-ab/4pi[sin(2pi b/a)-sin2pi)
MV=b/2-[ab sin(2pi b/a)]/(b-a)
Ans given is b/a. I am not getting further.
- Maths - Graham, Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 3:36am
y(x) = b sin^2(πx/a)
The mean of the curve over the range b to a is:
y_ave = 1/(a-b) ∫(x=b to a) y(x) dx
sin^2(πx/a) = 1 - cos(2πx/a)
= (b/2) ∫ (1 - cos(2πx/a)) dx
= (b/2) (x - a sin(2πx/a)/(2π)) + constant
= bx/2 - ab sin(2πx/a)/(4π) + constant
∫(x=b to a) y(x) dx
= b(a-b)/2 + ab sin(2πb/a)/(4π)
1/(a-b)∫(x=b to a) y(x) dx
= (b/2) + (ab sin(2πb/a))/(4π(a-b))
- Maths - Graham, Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 3:39am
And, that is just about as far as it goes. You can play around with the sine identities, but it doesn't simplify much further.
- Maths - MS, Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 3:52am
Does it indicate that the answer 'b/a' given in the book may be wrong? I tried many times but could not get it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - Find complete length of curve r=a sin^3(theta/3). I have gone thus- (...
- calc - i did this problem and it isn't working out, so i think i'm either making...
- Calculus help?? - I'm not sure how to solve this and help would be great! d/dx [...
- Integration by Parts - integral from 0 to 2pi of isin(t)e^(it)dt. I know my ...
- maths - Please can you help me with this question? Choose the option which is a ...
- Math - 1. On the interval [0, 2pi] what are the solutions to the equation ...
- Calculus - 1) The period of a trig. function y=sin kx is 2pi/k. Then period of y...
- Trig - Given: cos u = 3/5; 0 < u < pi/2 cos v = 5/13; 3pi/2 < v < ...
- math - Evaluate. 1. sin^-1(-1/2) 2. cos^-1[(-root 3)/2] 3. arctan[(root3)/3] 4...
- Trigonometry - Solve the equation for solutions in the interval 0<=theta<...