Posted by arshad on Friday, August 23, 2013 at 1:08am.
a man started to play a card game .in the first round he doubled the amount and he gave away a certain amount say P to his friend.In the second round,he tripled the amount left with him after the first round and gavew away an amount 2P to his friends.in the third round he quadrupled the amount left with him after the second round and gave away an amount P to his friend and was finally left with no money.if he gave away a total of RS.160 to his friend,then what was the money left with him?
- maths - Reiny, Friday, August 23, 2013 at 8:33am
let the amount he started with be x
after first round he has 2x-P
in 2nd round he tripled that and gave away 2P
so has left
6x - 3P - 2P = 6x - 5P
in 3rd round he quadrupled the amount and gave away P
so he has left
24x - 20P - P = 24x - 21P
amount given away = P + 2P + P = 160
P = 40
but at the end he has nothing left, so
24x - 21P = 0
24x - 21(40) = 0
x = 35
He started with RS 35
in first round: doubled , gave away P
70-40 = 30
in 2nd round: tripled, gave away 2P
90 - 80 = 10
in 3rd round: quadrupled , gave away P
40 - 40 = 0
my solution checks out.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Probability - You and a friend play the following game: You pay your friend $3 ...
- math - Jose was playing a game with marbles.In the first round ,he lost 1/4 of ...
- maths - at a fairground, the table shows the prbability of winning an amount on ...
- Business maths - What minimum amount will have to be deducted today to a fund ...
- math - Jefferson Bank made a loan at 6% interest for 146 days. If the amount of ...
- math - Suppose that you took out a loan at 7% interest for 192 days. If the ...
- math - Cecil has a mysterious money machine that will double any amount of money...
- Math - You and a friend roll a pair of dice. The game is over either when you ...
- mathmatics - on the first day of march, a bank loans a man £2500 at a fixed rate...
- Mathematics for Liberal Arts - Each round of the game costs $1 to play. A round ...