Posted by arshad on Friday, August 23, 2013 at 1:08am.
a man started to play a card game .in the first round he doubled the amount and he gave away a certain amount say P to his friend.In the second round,he tripled the amount left with him after the first round and gavew away an amount 2P to his friends.in the third round he quadrupled the amount left with him after the second round and gave away an amount P to his friend and was finally left with no money.if he gave away a total of RS.160 to his friend,then what was the money left with him?
maths - Reiny, Friday, August 23, 2013 at 8:33am
let the amount he started with be x
after first round he has 2x-P
in 2nd round he tripled that and gave away 2P
so has left
6x - 3P - 2P = 6x - 5P
in 3rd round he quadrupled the amount and gave away P
so he has left
24x - 20P - P = 24x - 21P
amount given away = P + 2P + P = 160
P = 40
but at the end he has nothing left, so
24x - 21P = 0
24x - 21(40) = 0
x = 35
He started with RS 35
in first round: doubled , gave away P
70-40 = 30
in 2nd round: tripled, gave away 2P
90 - 80 = 10
in 3rd round: quadrupled , gave away P
40 - 40 = 0
my solution checks out.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Probability - You and a friend play the following game: You pay your friend $3 ...
- math - Jose was playing a game with marbles.In the first round ,he lost 1/4 of ...
- Maths - Can someone help me with this... Mr and Mrs Lim went shopping with a ...
- Math - Find the accumulated amount A if the principal, P = $3700 is invested at ...
- Pre-Calculus - At time t hours after taking the cough suppressant hydrocodone ...
- Probabiliy - Another card game. In a new card game, you start with a well-...
- Math - Anne now has a balance of $900 on her credit card, on which 1.5% interest...
- Business maths - calculate the amount that will be accumulated after 20 years if...
- maths - at a fairground, the table shows the prbability of winning an amount on ...
- Algebra ASAP - The half-life of krypton-91 ^(91Kr) is 10 seconds. At time t = 0...