Posted by Qi on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 6:57am.
They are 5 boys.If each boy plays a game of chess with each of the boys, how many games will there be?
- Maths - Reiny, Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 8:23am
Each of the five boys can play against each of the other 4. which would be 20 games,
BUT, that would include the pair of games of
boy1 vs boy2 and boy2 vs boy1, the same game.
So we have to divide by 2 to eliminate all those "doubles"
There will be 10 games
The number is actually low enough for you to list them
4-5 for a total of 10
This is a typical "combination" problem where you are choosing the number of cases of "5 choose 2" or
C(5,2) = 5!/(3!2!) = 10
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - I can't understand this math problem.... Please help me...
- math - in a boy's school, 5/8 of the boys play football and 4/7 play rugby.if ...
- Math - What is 5/8 + 4/7 -1 ? I can't understand this math problem.... Please ...
- Science - Whenever Adrian plays his favorite video game he always A higher ...
- maths - in a boy's school,5/8 of the boys play football and 4/7 play rugby.if ...
- 5th Grade Math - Keith played some games of chess at a tournament. He recorded ...
- LA Help! - Both Ernesto from barrio boy and the boy in "A Day's Wait" interact ...
- Language arts - Both Enersto from Barrion Boy and the boy in a days wait ...
- writing - Both Ernesto from barrio boy and the boy in "A Day's Wait" interact ...
- Maths - In class 4A, 21 boys play cricket, 16 boys play football. 13 play both ...