Posted by andrea on Monday, August 19, 2013 at 6:31pm.
Assume the average height and weight of a female in your math class is 5'5" and 140 pounds. Use this information to write a variation equation then use it to find the weight of the female below if they had the same body type as the average female. Round answer to the nearest pound.
math - Steve, Monday, August 19, 2013 at 6:56pm
5'5" = 65"
5'6" = 66"
So, assuming a linear relationship,
66/65 * 140 lb
math - andrea, Monday, August 19, 2013 at 7:52pm
Steve the answer according to my book is 147
math - Steve, Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 12:32am
Well, I guess that's possible. You have given no other data for determining the line, so I assumed it started at (0,0).
In that case, my answer is 142.15
If, however, the data suggest that the line is given by
w = 4.85 + 66/65 h
then the answer would be 147. Better check the original problem to be sure you have accounted for all the given data.
It's quite possible that the line is given by
w = 36.8 + 66/65 (h-3.7) or something. No idea. All we have to go on is that the slope is probably 66/65. Even that is not certain, since we only have one data point to go on. It's hard to build a variation equation from one point, since it's usually a least-squares fit, using several points to estimate the line.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - If everyone had the same body proportions, your weight in pounds would ...
- statistics - Assume heights and weights are normally distributed with the given ...
- math - 4 PART Your weight on different planets is affected by gravity. An object...
- maths- arithmetic - The average weight for a group of 20 women is 130 pounds.If ...
- algebra - find the average weight in pounds of a type of bird of your choice. ...
- Biometrics - If these samples were drawn from a population with mean male weight...
- statistik - twenty percent of the employees of a large company are female.use ...
- arithmetic - the average weight of 20 women is 130 pounds. if the average weight...
- College Algebra - find the average weight in pounds of a type of bird of your ...
- Math - The table below shows the height (in inches) and weight (in pounds) of ...