Posted by Roosevelt on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 1:29pm.
Given an equation of a line, how do I find equations for lines parallel to it going through specified points Simplifying the equations into slope-intercept form.
1. y= -2x -4; (1, 3) how do I write the equation of a line parallel to the given line but passing through the given point
2. y= 3x + 3; (1,1) how do I write the equation of a line perpendicular to the given line but passing through the given point
Algebra - Steve, Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 3:49pm
It must have the same slope: -2
Now you have a point and a slope, so the line is
y-3 = -2(x-1)
same idea, but you want the perpendicular slope, which is the negative reciprocal of the line's slope: -1/3
y-1 = -1/3(x-1)
review the various forms of the equation of a line:
Pre- Algebra - Henry, Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 6:54pm
1. Y = -2x - 4. (1,3).
Parallel lines have equal slopes:
m1 = m2 = -2.
Y = mx + b = 3
-2*1 + b = 3
b = 3+2 = 5
Eq: Y = -2x + 5
2. Y = 3x+3. (1,1).
The slope of the line is equal to the negat1ive reciprocal of the slope of the given line.
m1 = 3
m2 = -1/3.
Y = mx + b = 1
(-1/3)*1 + b = 1
b = 1 + 1/3 = 1 1/3 = 4/3
Eq: Y = (-1/3)x + 4/3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Discuss the steps necessary to carry out each activity. Describe ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra - Can someone check my answers? 1. Write the equation of the line that ...
- Math - Write an equation in the indicated form for each statement described ...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- geometry - find the slope of a line that passes through the following points. (4...
- Algebra 1 ( bobpursley) - 1. Write an equation in slope-intercept form for the ...
- Math -Quadratics Help! - I have a test tomorrow with a few sample questions that...
- Math - Quadratics & Analytical Geometry - I have a test tomorrow with a few ...
- Pre Calculus - please help me with this problem? I have the answer but I need to...