Posted by 3.1415926... on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:28pm.
Four circles of unit radius are drawn with centers (1,0), (-1,0), (0,1), and (0,-1). A circle with radius 2 is drawn with the origin as its center. What is the area of all points which are contained in an odd number of these 5 circles? (Express your answer in the form "a pi + b" or "a pi - b", where a and b are integers.)
Can you tell what the answer is? I want a clear explanation too. Thanks!!!!!!
MATH - Steve, Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:44pm
the small circles intersect in lens-shaped areas of pi/2 - 1
each small circle has area pi
The large circle has area 4pi
The points in the lenses and the large circle outside the small circles lie in 1 or 3 circles.
4pi - 4(pi) + 4(pi/2-1) = 2pi-4
MATH - mathemagiacian, Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 12:33pm
That is not right.
MATH - Steve, Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 12:30am
So, if it's not right, maybe you could let us know where we went wrong. The idea is to help here, you know.
MATH - Anonymous, Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 1:21pm
the answer is 4pi-8 . FOR SURE!!
MATH - Anonymous, Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 10:30pm
it is 4pi-8
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- GEOMETRY QUESTION - Four circles of unit radius are drawn with centers (0,1), (-...
- Math Geometry - Four circles of unit radius are drawn with centers (1,0), (-1,0...
- I am really struggling on this problem - geometry - Please help guys if you can...
- Geometry - A circle of radius 1 is drawn in the plane. Four non-overlapping ...
- Math - A circle of radius 1 is drawn in the plane. Four non-overlapping circles ...
- Geometry - 2 circles with centers O and O' are drawn to intersect each other at ...
- Geometry - In my book there's a picture of an equalderal triangle. This is given...
- geometry (help steve) - A circle of radius 1 is drawn in the plane. Four non-...
- Pre-Calc (Circles). Please help :( - Five concentric circles with radii 1, 2, 3...
- Geomatric series - A fractal is created: A circle is drawn with radius 8 cm. ...