Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 1:50am.
Many communities are considering adopting curfews for high school students. Some educators and parents favor curfews because they believe it will encourage students to focus more on their homework and make them more responsible. Others feel curfews are up to families, not the community, and that students today need freedom to work and participate in social activities in order to mature properly. Do you think that communities should impose curfews on high school students?
High school students are known for their "out of control behavior". Communities are considering to adopt curfews for high school students. On the contrary, others think that it is up to the family and that not having curfews can possibly be a good thing. Although it is important to restrict high school students, the communities should leave it up to the family. Hence, communities should not impose curfews on high school students.
Educators and parents encourage curfews because they believe that students will tend to be more focused on their schoolwork and be more responsible. This may be true, but it is more important to consider other factors like freedom and social activities. Communities may set a curfew that at 5:00 pm students must be focusing on homework. This act of control can make the students more tenacious. It is difficult to instruct some teenagers to conform with the curfew. Most of the teenagers I know and I myself are very likely to do the contrary when curfews are set. In addition, curfews set by communities are not easily to be changed. Also, curfews limit the students' time, which is needed for community service. Thus, communities should not impose curfews on high school students
Students need freedom, so curfew should not be applied at all times. They need freedom to do productive things such as volunteer work. Curfews would limit their time to help the community. If the students take the advantage of their freedom prudently then they should not have curfew. In contrast, if the students use their time to hang out with friends, play games, and watch television for a long time then it is up to the family to deal with that. It is more flexible when the family set curfews rather than the community because when the students need to focus then curfew is needed but when they are focus and use their time wisely curfew is not needed. Most students are different from each other so it works best for the family to adjust the curfews.
As high school students they need to develop social skills. Hence, there should be no curfews, which can deprive them from social activities like outside school clubs. For example, if the students were to be home at six and the club meeting is at seven, then it may be impossible for them to participate in such activity. Students need to be exposed to the outside world in order to strengthen their communication skills. Also, they can develop problem-solving skills. For instance, if a student were to watch a kid who later got lost, the student must not be panic but instead try to solve the problem. These skills will greatly help the students to develop maturely. Curfew can shield students from acquiring these skill and so it should not be imposed by communities.
Communities must not establish curfews for high schools students but rather their family. Students need the freedom to develop good social skills. This freedom allows them to grow maturely.
- Writing - Writeacher, Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 8:01am
Why are you always taking only one side or another on these questions? Why can't you write a paper in which you state that you don't believe curfews are a good idea in general, but there may be times when they must be set in place.
Stretch your thinking. Whenever you take an all-one-side or all-the-other-side position, you end up using fallacies. It's not a sign of good thinking.
- Writing - Writeacher, Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 8:13am
Read these and start working on including these strategies in your writing:
- Writing - bobpursley, Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:27pm
I agree with writeteacher. An essay such as this will not reflect well on your thinking or writing ability.
Your introductions stinks.
Your logic stinks.
You generalize everything, without justification. You continually offer opinions, without groundwork (not everyone agrees with your opinions).
1. >>Educators and parents encourage curfews because they believe that students will tend to be more focused on their schoolwork and be more responsible.>> Is it possible teens need 8_hours of sleep to function?
2.<<but it is more important to consider other factors like freedom and social activities. >> Really? No kidding?
3.<<Most of the teenagers I know and I myself are very likely to do the contrary when curfews are set.>> Hmmmm. You need new parents quickly.
4. <<Also, they can develop problem-solving skills. For instance, if a student were to watch a kid who later got lost, the student must not be panic but instead try to solve the problem.>> Hmmm. You just made a great argument against teens having "freedom"...to lose a kid, and not call in the police or an adult.
Reread Writeteachers comments. You can do better than this. I have rated many, many college essays, and I can assure you, they are looking for your ability to analyze concisely, and clearly state an argument, with a succinct closing and opening.
This would be rated 2.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - I am writing an argument essay on school uniforms and I need some help...
- Writing - Did you understand my thesis because I meant that families and not the...
- LA - A controversial book may be banned from schools because people disagree ...
- Enligh - I am writing an argument paper on school uniforms and I had prepare an...
- educating young children PART1 - a portfolio should? (a)consist of items that ...
- 12th grade - In recent years,business representatives have expressed concern ...
- Writing - Please correct,give feedback,and grade. ACT Prompt Most schools have ...
- Writing - This time I hope I improve. Writing is a skill that must be practiced...
- AED 201 - Many U.S. citizens believe that parents and students must have the ...
- Writing - Writeacher,when is the best time for me to post this so that you are ...