Posted by Beth on Monday, August 5, 2013 at 6:06pm.
I have to solve an inverse function.
f(x)=x+6 and g(x)=x+6
f(x)=1/4x,x is equal to or not equal to 0
g(x)=1/4x,x is equal to or not equal to 0
Please help me I have been on this one problem for hours and I can't get it. This one question will determine whether or not I pass this course or not.
- Algebra - eh? - Steve, Monday, August 5, 2013 at 7:08pm
what is it you have to solve for?
"an inverse function" doesn't help much
In the 2nd part, do you mean
f(x) = 1/(4x) or (1/4)x?
and is g the same as f?
- Algebra - Steve, Monday, August 5, 2013 at 7:10pm
if f and g are inverses, f(g(x)) = x
f(x) = x+6
f(g) = g+6 = (x+6)+6 = x+12
so, f and g are not inverses.
Same for the 2nd part.
If f(x) is the same as g(x), they are not inverses unless
f(x) = x
g(x) = x
i think you have some typos in your write-up.
- Algebra - Beth, Monday, August 5, 2013 at 8:50pm
I did sorry about that but I have found the answer since then. I got it wrong when I submitted it but time was running out. However, I know the answer now but I still don't understand it at all.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - 1) When will the dependent variable in the equation y=√x+4-3 equal...
- Calculus - F(x) = 1-x and g(x) = 1/x These functions have the property that f = ...
- math - 9x+5greater than or equal to -40 or 7x+3greater than or equal to -11 ...
- Algebra--Correction? - Solve x^2 -3x is greater than or equal to 10 Would the ...
- Algebra - I have a problem, which requires I solve the following system of ...
- Business Math - Using the simplex method, solve the following linear programming...
- Algebra II - The inverse of f(x) is h(x). The composition of f and h is written ...
- Math Check - Solve the inequality. So i have done this problem at least three ...
- Intermediate Algebra - Find the maximum value of the objective function and the ...
- Algebra 2 -Linear Programming - Find the values of x and y that maximize or ...