Posted by Nat on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 10:56pm.
Consider the following reaction and select the false statement below.
NaI + 3HOCl → NaIO3 + 3HCl
A. HOCl is the oxidizing agent
B. Cl is reduced
C. NaI is the reducing agent
D. If ΔG° for the reaction is < 0, then NaI is a stronger reducing agent than HCl
E. If ΔG° for the reaction is < 0, then NaIO3 is a stronger oxidizing agent than HOCl
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 11:12pm
And your problem is what?
- Chemistry - Nat, Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 11:20pm
I'm confused with redox rxns in general and how to tell if it's a strong oxidizing/reducing agent.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 11:39pm
Oxidation is the loss of electrons and the substance oxidized is the reducing agent.
Reduction is the gain of electrons and the substance reduced is the oxidizing agent.
For example, look at answer A.
Cl in HOCl has oxidation state of +1. It goes to Cl^- on the right where it is -1. Changing from +1 to -1 is the gain of electrons (two to be exact about it) which makes HOCl reduced and it is the oxidizing agent.
B. I just used Cl as an example so you know both A and B are true statements.
C. You can go through the same reasoning to determine if C is correct. i think it is but you should confirm that.
D and E. Both of these are based on dGo <0. If it is <0 that means it is negative and that means the reaction is spontaneous as written. So if the reaction is spontaneous as written then NaI is the stronger of NaI and HCl; otherwise, the reaction would be spontaneous in the other direction.
Same kind of reasoning for E.
- Chemistry - Nat, Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 11:58pm
Thank you for your explanation! I knew the first three were right but didn't know exactly why. I was confused with the last two. Thanks again!
Answer this Question
- chemistry - In the reaction 2HNO3(aq) + Cu(s) + 2H+(aq) ¨ 2NO2(g) + Cu2+(g) + ...
- CHEMISTRY HELP !!!! - Assuming the following reaction proceeds in the forward ...
- chemistry - Reaction 1: Cu (strongest reducing agent) I- Ag Br- (weakest ...
- Biology/Chemistry - During a perm, disulfide bonds can be broken and reformed ...
- chemistry - what are the oxidatoin numbers in this chemical reaction Ni+H2SO4=H2...
- chemistry - 3PbO2 + 2Cr3++ 2H2O3Pb2+ + 2CrO42-+ 4H+ In the above redox reaction...
- chemistry - SO42- + HAsO2+ 2H+H3AsO4 + SO2 In the above redox reaction, use ...
- Chemistry - I just to know how to identify the substance that is reduced, the ...
- Science(chem) - This question relates to what someone posted below... It was ...
- Chem Check Please!!! - 1) Assuming the following reaction proceeds in the ...