Posted by Minnie on Friday, July 26, 2013 at 3:56pm.
Hey I know it is long ago since I posted more of my text but there was so much else I had to do... I hope somebody can correct it :)
Then I took a second look at each sentence, because it often is the case that the BNC has very long sentences in which it is difficult to see where the verb is and what complement it takes. So I shortened most of the sentences, but I was very careful not to shorten too much, so that the sense of the sentence stays the same.
Then I gave them a third look and analyses which complement the verbs follows. After finishing the analyses I count how often which complement follows which verb. The next step was to arrive to a conclusion. You can see the data and the conclusion on the next sides of this elaboration.
english - Writeacher, Friday, July 26, 2013 at 5:34pm
... analysed which complement follows the verb.
... finishing the analysis, I counted ...
Everything else looks fine.
english - Minnie, Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 2:10pm
thanks and now the next paragraph :)
Now we wanted to answer the research questions. We will have a closer look to the complements and try to find answers why which verb take which complement.
The verb to smell took mostly Nounphrases (  34 times). 9 times we found an Adjective Phrase , 4 times a Prepositional Phrase  and one time a wh-clause complement , a ing-participle clause  and also one time without an complement .
We did not found the verb to smell with that- clause complement in the BNC but nethertheless you can use the verb to smell with one .
 I could smell smoke and hear the most terrible screams.
 But the Recycling Rose does not always smell sweet [...]
 […] she was afraid her new dress might soon smell of sweat like the old one.
 […] so that you can experience in sight, sound and smell exactly what it was like to live and work in
 You could smell rubber burning.
 Mind you, he doesn't smell -- he must have got somewhere he can go for a bath at least once.
 I smell that you are baking a cake.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Can you please check if the following sentences are possible? Thank ...
- English - Can you please check if these sentences are grammatically correct,...
- English - I need your help with the following sentences. Are they grammatically ...
- English - I forgot to include the following sentencens.I hope you can check the ...
- English - I have a few doubts regarding the use of the present perfect. I really...
- Early child ed. - Will you please look at this question and look at what I've ...
- english - I posted my work a few minutes ago, can somebody check it for me ...
- science - hey im doing my science homework and i really need hel fast cuz i need...
- To Minnie - I deleted your original post because it included an email address. ...
- english - hey you! i have to wirte a letter to a prof of mine .. she is a ...