Posted by sushil on Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 12:48pm.
A steel block 200mm*20mm*20mm is subjected to a tensile force of 40kn in the direction of its length.Determine the change in volume,if Eis 205kn/mm square and poisson's ratio=0.3.
- solid mechanics - Elena, Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 4:05pm
E=205 kN/mm²= 205•10⁹ N/m².
F/A = E•ε(longitudinal)
ε=ε(longitudinal) = F/A•E=
If a=0.2 m, b=c=0.002 m, ε=4.9•10⁻⁴,
μ = 0.3
V=abc = 0.2•0.002•0.002 =8•10⁻⁷ m³
The deformed volume is
V₁ =(1+ ε)a•(1- μ ε)b•(1- μ ε)c .
Neglecting powers of ε, the deformed volume
V₁ =(1+ ε - 2•μ•ε)V .
The change in volume is
ΔV = ε(1- 2•μ)V =
=4.9•10⁻⁴(1 - 2•0.3)•8•10⁻⁷ =
- solid mechanics - MathMate, Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 4:08pm
Unit volume expansion, e
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Solid Mechanics - A steel block 200 mm X 20 mm x 20 mm is subjected to a tensile...
- THEORY OF MACHINE - A steel block 200 mm * 20 mm* 20 mm is subjected to a ...
- solid mechanics - A round bar 40 mm dia meter is subjected to an axial pull of ...
- Solid Mechanics - A round bar 40 mm dia meter is subjected to an axial pull of ...
- mechanics of materials - A mild steel bar of width 10mm is subjected to a ...
- physics - A trucker sees the image of a car passing her truck in her diverging ...
- solid mechanics - A piece of material subjected to three mutually perpendicular ...
- non-medical - a drop of oil of radius 0-20mm spreads on a circular film of ...
- engineering - A steel tube 30 mm outside diameter and 25 mm internal diameter ...
- maths - Determine the stress in a solid steel rod of diameter 30 mm when ...