Posted by sushil on Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 12:25pm.
a steel bar 10m long and 10cm*10cm in section .it is subjected to an axial pull of 250KN .determine the intensities of normal and tangential stresses on a plane section at 60 degree to the longitudinal axis .
solid mechanics - Elena, Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 4:04pm
σ = F/A = 250000/0.1•0.1 = 2.5•10⁷ N/m²
τ = F /(A/cosα) = Fcosα/A =
solid mechanics - MathMate, Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 4:29pm
If I am not mistaken, tangential stress on a plane section at 60° to the longitudinal axis would be the shear stress, γ, and the normal stress on the same plane is the normal stress, σ.
σx=250 kN / (0.1²) m²
Using the Mohr circle, we have
=(σx-σy)/2 * sin(2*α)
=25/2 * sin(2*60°) MPa
=((σx+σy)/2 + (σx-σy)/2 * cos(2*α)
= 12.5 + 12.5cos(2*60°)
solid mechanics - MathMate, Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 4:56pm
Sorry, typo above:
shear stress should have read τ. γ would have been shear strain.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- sjc coolege - A steel bar 10m long and 10cm ×2.5cm in section .It is subjected ...
- THEORY OF MACHINE - A steel bar 10 m long and 10 cm * 2.5 cm in section. It is ...
- solid mechanics - A steel plate is subjected to tensile stresses of 200MPa and ...
- Solid Mechanics - A cast iron block of 5Cm^2 cross section carries an axial ...
- Solid Mechanics - pls help me to resolve this question A casts iron block of ...
- Physic - Reaction at support and internal axial force resultant Consider two ...
- psuchics - Reaction at support and internal axial force resultant Consider two ...
- physics - Consider two straight bars of uniform cross section made of the same ...
- Solid Mechanics - A casts iron block of 5cm2 cross section carries load of 50KN...
- Solid Mechanics - A round bar 40 mm dia meter is subjected to an axial pull of ...