Posted by Anonymous on Friday, July 19, 2013 at 10:21pm.
The area of a rectangle is 72 square inches and the perimeter is 44 inches. Find its dimensions.
Geometry - Ms. Sue, Friday, July 19, 2013 at 10:26pm
One way to solve this is to find the factors of 72. Then see which of these will fit for the perimeter.
Geometry - Reiny, Saturday, July 20, 2013 at 7:58am
let the length and width be x and y respectively
2x + 2y = 44
x + y = 22
y = 22-x
area = xy = 72
x(22-x) = 72
22x - x^2 - 72 = 0
x^2 - 22x + 72 = 0
(x-4)(x-18) = 0
x = 4 or x = 18
if x = 4, then y = 22-4 = 18
if x = 18, then y = 22-18 = 4
the dimensions are 4 by 18 inches
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The area of a rectangle is 72 square inches and the perimeter is 44 ...
- Geometry - 1.What is the perimeter of a rectangle with width 10 inches in length...
- grade 3 math - 1) what is the greates perimeter of a rectangle with an area of ...
- geometry - Suppose the dimensions of a rectangle with a perimeter of 22 inches ...
- Geometry - The perimeter of a rectangle is 102 inches, and the length of the ...
- Algebra Homework, HELP! - 1) A rectangle has an area of 297 square inches and a...
- Math - Find the Maximum area for the given perimeter of a rectangle. State the ...
- Math - If the width of a rectangle is increased by 2 inches, the area is 140 ...
- Algebra 0110 College - 1) A rectangle has perimeter 38 feet and an area of 78 ...
- math - A rectangle is 4 inches wide by 7 inches long. When the length and width ...