Posted by Casey on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 7:49pm.
An open box is to be made from cutting squares of side 's' from each corner of a piece of cardboard that is 35" by 40".
(a) Write an expression for the volume, 'V', of the box in terms of 's'.
(b) Draw a graph of V(s).
(c) State the domain and range of V(s).
(d) Find the value of 's' that will give the maximum volume. What is the maximum volume?
(e) What realistic value(s) of 's' will generate a volume of 1225 cubic units?
- AP Calculus - Reiny, Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 11:09pm
length = 40-2s
width = 35-2s
height = s
a) V = s(40-2s)(35-2s)
= 1400s - 150s^2 + 4s^3
b) standard shape of a cubic, with x-intercepts of
0 , 20, and 17.5
c) make special notice of where V is above and below the x-axis
d) dV/ds = 1400 - 300s + 12s^2
= 0 for a max of V
divide by 4 ...
3s^2 - 75s + 350 = 0
s = (75 ± √1425)/6
= appr 18.8 or appr 6.2
clearly the 18.8 would produce a negative width, so we reject that
accept s = 6.2 to yield a max volume of appr 3867 cubic inches
to get a volume of 1225 we set
4s^3 - 150s^2 + 1400s = 1225
4s^3 - 150s^2 + 1400s - 1225 = 0 gives a solution of
s = .974 , 13.9 and 22.6
both .974 and 13.9 yield our needed result, while 22.6 would produce a negative length and width, thus we must reject it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - An open box is to be made from cutting squares of side "s" from each ...
- Calculus - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of cardboard...
- calculus - Help!!! A rectangle piece of cardboard twice as long as wide is to be...
- calculus - By cutting away identical squares from each corner of a rectangular ...
- Calculus - an open box is made by cutting out squares from the corners of a ...
- Calculus 1 - A box with an open top is to be constructed from a rectangular ...
- calculus optimization problem - by cutting away identical squares from each ...
- Engineering - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of ...
- PRE-CALCULUS - AN OPEN BOX IS FORMED BY CUTTING SQUARES OUT OF A PIECE OF ...
- Calculus - By cutting away identical squares from each corner of a rectangular ...