Posted by sam on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 10:26am.
Ann bought 2/3 lb of carrots 3/4lb of celery and 7/8lb of onions. How many lbs of vegetables did she buy?
math - addition of fractions - MathMate, Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 10:34am
The question requires us to add three fractions, with different denominators.
The first step is to find a common denominator which is the LCM (least common multiple) among 3,4 and 8.
Since 4 divides 8, so 4 need not be accounted for. The LCM of 3 and 8 is just the product 24, since there are no common factors between 3 and 8.
Now convert all the fractions to the common denominator of 24, i.e.
2/3 = 16/24
3/4 = 18/24
7/8 = 21/24
Add the numerators and divide by the denominator to get
(16+18+21)/24=55/24= 2 11/24 lbs.
math - sam, Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 12:54pm
thank you. Iget it know
math :) - MathMate, Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 4:33pm
You're welcome. :)
The method above is correct, but the final result should be 2 7/24 lbs, since 2*24=48, and 55-48=7. Sorry for the oversight.
math - sam, Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 5:02pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATHS - Ali went to the store to buy vegetables he bought 16 ounce of potatoes 1...
- maths - Ali went to the store to buy vegetables .He bought 16 ounce of potatoes,...
- science - Hi. Which of the following are legumes? a-peas, beans, alfalfa b-...
- Algebra - A bought some carrots and apples for $24.80. A carrot and an apple $0....
- Math - Jill bought so e carrots and apples for $24.80. A carrot and an apple ...
- math - marc bought bananas, apples, and peaches. He bought twice as many lbs of ...
- ALGEBRA WRITE EQUATION - FOOD: each variety of apples cost $1.20/lb at a grocery...
- math - Calvin and Ken bought a bag of 60 onions. They divide all of these onions...
- math - Bonita bought 2 and 1/5 kg of potatoes and 1 and 1/2 kg of carrots. How ...
- Algebra - While shopping for a party, June bought 2 1/6 lbs of hamburger, 3 4/5 ...