Posted by krishna on Monday, July 15, 2013 at 7:18am.
the distance between two stations is 340 km two trains start simultaneously on parallel tracks to each other . the speed of one of them is greater than that of the other by 5 km/hr. if the distance between the two trains after 2 hrs of their start is 30 km , find the speed of each train
- maths - MathMate, Monday, July 15, 2013 at 7:22am
Two trains with speeds s and s+5 km/hr.
Initial distance=340 km
final distance = 30 km
Total distance travelled = 340-30=310 km
Total speed = s+s+5=2s+5
Time = 2 hrs
Form equation equating distance travelled
Speeds of trains are 75 km/h and 80 km/hr
- maths - mahesh, Monday, July 15, 2013 at 7:37am
If one train has a velocity of V km/h, the other one will have velocity V+5 km/h approaching the first train. Therefore Relative velocity will be V+V+5=2V+5 km/h.
Distance travelled by them in 2 hrs is 340-30=310km which is =2(2V+5)
Thus 4V+10=310 or 4V=300 hence V=75km/h and other train has a velocity of 80km/h.
Check: in 2 hrs they will move 75x2+80x2=150+160=310km =340-30 km. OK.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - the distance between two stations is 300km. two trains start ...
- physics - two metra trains are on separate but parallel tracks. One has a speed ...
- Math - Plz help me to solve this question The distance between two stations A & ...
- math - two trains start from towns 208 miles apart and travel towards each other...
- Pre-Calculus-Trig - Two trains depart simultaneously from the same station. The ...
- Math - The distance btwn two stations A and B is 230km.two motrcyclst start ...
- math - The distance between Delhi and Meerut is 75km . Two trains at a speed of ...
- Physics - Two trains approach each other on parallel tracks. Each has a speed of...
- maths - Two trains are on the same track a distance 300 km apart heading ...
- Math - two trains are traveling toward each other adjacent tracks. one of the ...