Posted by Perrie on Monday, July 8, 2013 at 5:50am.
1. A piece of rectangular wood that measures 3.0 cm by 6.0 cm by 4.0 cm has a mass of 80.0 grams. What is the density of the wood? Would the piece of wood float in water?
2. I threw a plastic ball in the pool for my dog to fetch. The mass of the ball was 125g. What must the volume be to have a density of 0.500 g/mL?
- Chemistry - Jai, Monday, July 8, 2013 at 6:50am
Recall that the density of a material is just
d = m/V
m = mass
V = volume
Also, the volume of a rectangular solid is given by
V = l*w*h
l = length
w = width
h = height
d = 80 / (3*6*4)
d = 80 / 72
d = 1.11 g / cm^3
No, it will NOT float because the density of wood is greater than density of water (which is approximately 1 g /cm^3 at standard temperature & pressure)
d = m/V
V = m/d
V = 125 / 0.5
V = 250 mL
Hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science - a piece of wood that measures 3.0 cm by 4.0 cm by 5.0 cm has a mass of...
- Math - Bella sells a jewelry at a market. She cuts out a rectangular piece of ...
- chemistry - the density of a piece of wood is 0.638 g/cm3. The dimensions of the...
- English - 1. He is try to hit a piece of wood with an axe to cut it. (Is this ...
- fun - how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood...
- math - Tomas needs to cut a piece of wood for a model airplane he is building. ...
- Science - Carbon-14 has a half-life of about 5,600 years. Archaeologists ...
- science - If the density of a piece of wood and the density of water are exactly...
- physics - a piece of wood 50 cm long , 20 cm wide, 40 cm thick. its density is ...
- Math - Thomas needs to cut a piece of wood for a model airplane he is builing. ...