Posted by Elyse on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 9:08pm.
Show that the function
y=c_1 e^x cos(x)+ c_2 e^x sin(x) satisfies the differential equation
y''-2y'+2y=0 for any values of c1 and c2, then find the values for those constants that solve the initial value problem y(0)= 1, y'(0)= -1
- Calculus-HELP!!!! - Reiny, Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 10:51pm
y=c1 e^x cos(x)+ c2 e^x sin(x)
y(0) = 1 , so
1 = c1 e^0 cos 0 + c2 e^0 sin 0
1 = c1 + 0
c1 = 1
y' = c1 e^x (-sin(x)) + c1 e^x cosx + c2 e^x cos(x) + c2 e^x sinx
= e^x( - c1
y'(0) = -1
-1 = c1 e^0 (-sin 0) + c2 e^0 cos 0
-1 = 0 + c2
c2 = -1
y'' = c1 e^x (-cos(x)) + c2 e^x (-sin(x))
y'' - 2y' + 2y
= e^x(2 c2 cosx – 2 c1 sinx) – 2e^x(c1 cosx + c2 sinx – c1 sinx + c2 cosx) + 2e^x(c1 cosx + c2 sinx)
= e^x( 2 c2cosx – 2 c1sinx – 2 c1cosx - 2c2 sinx + 2c1 sinx – 2c2cosx + 2c1cosx + 2c2sinx)
= e^x(0) = 0
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Trigonometry desperate help, clueless girl here - 2. solve cos 2x-3sin x cos 2x...
- MATH - 1.)Find the exact solution algebriacally, if possible: (PLEASE SHOW ALL ...
- Pleaaaaaase help with differential graph question - Suppose further that the ...
- Calculus - Consider the function f(x)=sin(1/x) Find a sequence of x-values that ...
- Math - A series circuit contains a resistor with R = 24 , an inductor with L = 2...
- Calculus - Please look at my work below: Solve the initial-value problem. y'' + ...
- PLEEEEEAAAASE HELP WITH DIFFERENTIAL EQ PROBLEMS!! - 1) What are the equilibrium...
- calculus - 1.Solve the differential equation dy/dx= y^2/x^3 for y=f(x) with the ...
- Calculus - Second Order Differential Equations - Posted by COFFEE on Monday, ...
- trig - 2sin(x)cos(x)+cos(x)=0 I'm looking for exact value solutions in [0, 3...