Posted by smith on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 7:29pm.
. Which of the following will result in a chemical change?
A. Melting ice to obtain water
B. Evaporating alcohol into vapor
C. Drying wood in a shed
D. Burning coal in a furnace
2. A salt is obtained as a reaction between
A. a nonmetal and a metal.
B. a base and water.
C. an acid and oxygen.
D. a base and an acid.
3. The chemical symbol for sodium is
A. S. C. Na.
B. Sn. D. N.
4. According to Table 1 and the other information in your study unit, which of the following
elements is stable?
A. Neon C. Boron
B. Carbon D. Fluorine
5. The primary metallic element thatís added to steel to make stainless steel is
A. antimony.C. tungsten.
B. silver.D. chromium.
6. The atomic number of oxygen is 8, because oxygen has
A. eight protons in the nucleus.
B. electrons in eight shells.
C. a second shell with eight electrons.
D. an atomic mass of 8.
7. Which one of the following chemical equations is balanced?
A. 2NaCl + H2SO4 →HCL + NaSO4
B. NH3 + H2O →2NH4OH
C. KOH + H2SO4 →KHSO4 + H2O
D. 2Na + S →2NaS
8. Which of the following is one way to prevent the corrosion of iron?
A. Protect the iron from polluted air.
B. Add carbon to the iron.
C. Let the iron develop a natural coat of carbonate.
D. Paint exposed iron parts with protective paint.
9. Which one of the following groups of chemical compounds is composed entirely of
A. C2H4O, CH2O, CaSO4, C3H5(OH)3
B. C6H6, C2H5OH, C6H5CH3, C3H5(NO3)3
C. C2H2, CH4, CaCl2, CaCN2
D. Ch3OCH3, Ca3(PO4)2, CO2, H2CO3
10. According to the periodic table in your study unit, the element fluorine is classified as a
A. metal.C. alkali metal.
B. metalloid.D. halogen.
11. The molecular mass of sodium oxide (Na2O) is
A. 22.98977. C. 45.97954.
B. 38.98917. D. 61.97894.
12. Which of the following is represented in the highest percentage by volume in dry air?
A. Oxygen C. Carbon dioxide
B. Nitrogen D. Hydrogen
13. Sodium is preferred over potassium in industrial applications because
A. sodium salts are easily decomposed.
B. sodium is produced more economically.
C. potassium oxidizes more slowly in air.
D. potassium has a higher melting temperature.
14. In the process of electrolysis, current can flow through a liquid because
A. cations of the electrolyte accumulate at the positive electrodes.
B. hydrogen is electrically neutralized in the solution.
C. water molecules become negatively charged.
D. negative ions are attracted to the anode.
15. In the chemical equation Zn + 2HCL →ZnCl2 + H2, the reactants are
A. zinc chloride and hydrogen.
B. zinc and hydrogen carbonate.
C. zinc chlorate and water.
D. zinc and hydrochloric acid.
16. If water and oil are combined in a container, the resulting liquid is a(n)
A. emulsion.C. solution.
B. suspension.D. mixture.
17. Which one of the following statements about sulfuric acid is correct?
A. Sulfuric acid is a known muriatic acid.
B. Sulfuric acid is a strong oxidizing agent.
C. Sulfuric acid has little effect on metals.
D. Sulfuric acid is dangerous to living organisms.
18. The valence of aluminum is +3, and the valence of chlorine is Ė1. The formula for
aluminum chloride is correctly written as
A. Al3Cl. C. ClAl3.
B. AlCl3. D. Cl3Al.
19. An atom of chlorine has several valence electrons in its
A. nucleus.C. second shell.
B. first shell. D. third shell.
20. The names of the compounds FeS, NaCl, NaOH, and Pb(CN)2 all end in the suffix
A. -ide.C. -ic.
B. -ite.D. -ate.
21. Which one of the following is a characteristic of a metal?
A. Conducts heat readily
B. Changes the color of litmus paper to red
C. Reacts with bases to produce salts
D. Becomes negative when combined with other elements
22. Examine the following unbalanced chemical equation: CO2 + C →CO.
Which of the following is the correctly balanced form of this equation?
A. 2CO2 + C →CO C. CO2 + C2 →CO
B. CO2 + C →2CO D. CO2 + C →C2O
23. One atom of silicon can properly be combined in a compound with
A. one atom of chlorine. C. three atoms of hydrogen.
B. two atoms of oxygen. D. four atoms of calcium.
24. Which one of the following formulas represents an aldehyde?
A. C6H10O5 C. C2H5OH
B. C2H4O D. CH3COOH
25. In a nuclear reaction, energy is released by the combination of two elements into a new
element. This process is an example of
A. natural radioactivity.C. nuclear fusion.
B. artificial disintegration.D. nuclear fission.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - which of the following will result in a chemical change?A.melting ...
- Chemistry - 1. Which of the following will result in a chemical change? A. ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following is an exothermic process? ice melting boiling...
- chemistry - Which of the following is a situation where an objectís potential ...
- Chemistry - 1. Which of the following is one way to prevent the corrosion of ...
- chemistry - Which of the following is an example of a chemical change (change in...
- chemistry - Calculate the temperature change in the water upon complete melting ...
- more physics. - What change in entropy occurs when a 27.9-g ice cube at -12 C is...
- chemistry - an 8.5g ice cube is placed into 255g of water. Calculate the temp ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the temperature change in the water upon complete melting ...