Posted by Ethel on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 6:19pm.
Siegel found that elderly people who owned dogs were less likely to pay visits to their doctors after upsetting events than were those who didn’t own pets. Similarly, consider the following hypothetical data. A sample of elderly dog owners is compared to a similar group (in terms of age and health) who do not own dogs. The researcher records the number of visits to the doctor during the past year for each person. The data are as follows:
Control Group Dog Owners
a. Is there a significant difference in the number of doctor visits between dog owners and control subjects? Use a two-tailed test with á=.05.
- Statistics - Joe, Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 8:41pm
You want to use a two-tailed t-test. You do not want to use matched pairs.
books set things up differently, but here is one way to do it..
group 1 = dog owners group 2 = no dog
Ho: mu1 - mu2 = 0
Ha: mu1 - mu2 does not = 0
If you are allowed to use a statistics calculator (like at TI-83 or 84) you can calculate very easily by entering each group into a different column and choosing 2 sample t-test. The be sure to choose the option not =. Compare the p-value given with the .05. If your value is less, reject the null hypothesis, if not fail to reject the null.
If you are not allowed to use a stat calculator, you will have to do this by using the formulas given in your text book.
- Statistics - Anonymous, Thursday, December 4, 2014 at 5:55pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - Siegel found that elderly people who owned dogs were less likely to...
- math - Rachel is curious about the number of pets that people own. She surveyed ...
- statistics - Consider a hypothetical population of dogs in which there are four ...
- nsc - A survey has found that 3/4 of the people in a city own pets. Of those who...
- math - Taylor surveys students in one grade level who own at least one pet. She ...
- algebra math - The following pie chart represents the results of a survey about ...
- Geometry - A car dealership interviewed every driver who came onto their lot on ...
- Math-Can u help me Reiny? So confused :( - A car dealership interviewed every ...
- statistics - The average age of doctors in certain hospital is 43 years old. ...
- Math - A vet surveys 26 of his patrons. He discovers that 14 have dogs. 10 have ...