Posted by Coolio on Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 6:04pm.
How do I find the derivative for the sqrt(sin(e^(x^3)*cos(x)))???
I know this is a combination of the chain rule and product rule. Please help!
Calc I - Coolio, Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 7:53pm
Calc I - Steve, Monday, July 1, 2013 at 12:28am
You know, if no one responds right away, a better follow-up would be to show whatever ideas you have had in the meantime, rather than just tapping your foot and saying "nothing?".
Your first thought, on seeing a complicated formula should have been the chain rule. what functions u and v could you use?
y = √u where
u = sin(e^(x^3)*cos(x))
u = sin v
where v = e^(x^3)*cos(x)
Now you can work with things:
y' = 1/2√u u'
= 1/2√u cos v v'
Now use the product rule:
= 1/2√u cos v e^(x^3) (3x^2 cosx - x^3 sinx)
Now just substitute back in for u and v.
Calc I - Coolio, Monday, July 1, 2013 at 1:07am
Thanks for your response. I was hardly taping my foot. I have been working on this problem for almost 6 days and by the time I posted this, I was over it. So I apologize if it seemed like I was impatient.
Calc I/STEVE!!! - Coolio, Monday, July 1, 2013 at 1:24am
You are the man!!!! I had tried this problem freaking 74 times. I had too many parenthesis, I forgot to add (e^(x^3)), and finally at the end of the derivative I did NOT include X^3 in front of sin(x).
Calc I - Steve, Monday, July 1, 2013 at 3:34am
Good work. Many many times it is easier to make a few simple substitutions to avoid all the punctuation. Even the most complex problems contain simple parts.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calc - find the derivative of y = sqrt(9 - 16x) Use the chain rule. First find ...
- Calculus - How do I use the chain rule to find the derivative of square root(1-x...
- MoRe HeLp PlEaSe!! (calc) - Also can I get some help with this LONG, TIRESOME ...
- calculus - Could someone check my reasoning? thanx Find the derivative of the ...
- Math (Calculus) - Hello, Could somebody please help me with the following ...
- Calculus - Can anyone explain how to use the chain rule and power rule together ...
- Math, Calculus - Find the derivative of the function. y= xcosx - sinx What's the...
- Derivatives - what is derivative of sin^2 (3x-1)^2 ? dy/dx (sin^2 (x))= 2 sin x ...
- Calculus 12th grade (double check my work please) - 1.)Find dy/dx when y= Ln (...
- Calculus - 1.) Find the derivative of tan (sec x). 2.) Find the derivative if 1/...