Posted by tracy10 on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 10:40am.
The corrosive effects of various soils on coated and uncoated steel pipe was tested by using a dependent sampling plan. The data collected are summarized below, where d is the amount of corrosion on the coated portion subtracted from the amount of corrosion on the uncoated portion. Does this random sample provide sufficient reason to conclude that the coating is beneficial? Use á = 0.01 and assume normality.
n = 48, Ód = 238, Ód2 = 6202
(a) Find t. (Give your answer correct to two decimal places.)
(ii) Find the p-value. (Give your answer correct to four decimal places.)
math - Kuai, Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 2:42pm
SSd = 6202 - (238)^2/48
SSd = 5201.917
Sd = sqrt(SSd/n-1)
Sd = sqrt(5021.917/47) =
Sd = 10.337
t = 4.958/10.337/sqrt(48)
t = 3.323
Two tail = .0017
right tail = 8.6885e^-4
Left tail = .9991
math - Tracy 10, Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 11:11pm
Have a question, where did you get the 4.958 and what did you look at for it. Thanks this has really helped so far, just unsure on that.
math - Kuai, Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 1:57pm
This is mean = 238/48 = 4.985
I am looking for t.
math - Kuai, Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 2:17pm
238/48 = 4.958
math - Tracy, Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 4:49pm
But how do you get the p-value, I have worked it out by hand and also put into calculator and it comes up wrong. 0.0017 was the last answer I got. and 0.9991 before that. I have several questions like this asking for p-value so if you could work one out and I could use as an example I would appreciate it. Thank you for all your help. I got the t as 3.32 and that was the right answer on that one.
math - Kuai, Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 5:16pm
First of all, you have to calculate your mean, standard deviation
sum of d is 238
n is 48
Mean = 238/48 = 4.958
Variance = 6202 -238^2/48 = 5201.92
standard derivation sqrt((variance/n-1)
Sd = 10.337
Find p-value you use your ti-83 plus
Go to stat
Enter mean = 4.958
Go to down to Sx then
Standard deviation or sx = 10.337
Select Not equal
Go to down and select calculate enter
It will you info
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Statistics - Please Help! If someone could just show me how to do a problem like...
- Math question - How do you find the p-value, on a problem like below. The ...
- statistics - Can any help me how to solve below problem.? I am student and ...
- math - A fifth grade class collected data about class spending per month on ...
- probability April-004 - In a random sample of 95 sections of pipe in a chemical ...
- physics - A capacitor is rolled from two strips of aluminum separated by two ...
- soil and palnt analysis - Acidic soil sample collected from HagreSelam location ...
- material engineering - Thank you so much drwls ... please, Do you mean is also ...
- CHEMISTRY - Can a substance made of zinc be coated by nickel , using nickel ...
- statistics - Data were collected on 100 students regarding their class and ...