Posted by DrBob222 on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 1:03am.
I have a question my brother asked me but I need a math expert.
You have two interlocking circles and the radius of circle B goes through the center of circle A and of course the radius of circle A goes through the center of circle B. The radius of each circle is 30 feet. Now, if you draw a line C from the top center of circle A across to the top center of circle B, the line would be 60 feet long and would leave an area below it created by the line C and part of an arc of circle A and part of an arc of circle B. Please give me the area of that space in square feet or the formula for how it's worked. Thanks.
Math - MathMate, Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 7:03am
We will describe the problem as follows.
Two circles A,B of equal radii (r=30') are centred at P, Q, distance r apart.
Points R and S on circles A, B are such that RS form a common tangent to both circles. Hence PRSQ form a square of side r.
Arcs are drawn with centre P and Q, radius r, which intersect at point D inside the square.
Hence Δ PDQ is an equilateral triangle of side r.
The required area bounded by the side RS , arcs RD and DS will be equal to
Area of square PRSQ - Area of ΔADQ - area of sector RPD - Area of sector SQD.
Note that sectors RPD and SQD have centrai angles of (90-60)=30°.
Math - MathMate, Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 7:06am
Area of square PRSQ - Area of ΔPDQ - area of sector RPD - Area of sector SQD.
Note that sectors RPD and SQD have central angles of (90-60)=30°.
Math - DrBob222, Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 11:45am
Math :) - MathMate, Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 12:27pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre-Calc (Circles) - Describe the conditions necessary, where circle A has a ...
- Math - Circle C has radius 4 inches. Circle D had radius 9 inches. These two ...
- Pre-Calc - Describe the conditions necessary for the two circles, where circle a...
- math gre question - in an infinite series of circles the radius of the second ...
- Please help with circle tangents geometry - Two circles of different sizes are ...
- math - the number of noncollinear points needed to determine a circle Two. The ...
- Math - Circle O is centered at the origin and has a radius of 5. Circle O' is ...
- GEOMETRY(CIRCLE) - Three circles with different radii have their centers on a ...
- Geomatric series - A fractal is created: A circle is drawn with radius 8 cm. ...
- Pre-Calc (Circles). Please help :( - Five concentric circles with radii 1, 2, 3...