Posted by SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA, AUSTRALIA,OCEANIA, AND ANTARTI on Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 5:37pm.
1. When Australia became the federated Commonwealth of Australia in 1901, Sydney and Melbourne
competed to be the capital city. A compromise was reached and _______ became the federal capital in
2. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), AIDS is listed as the _______ main cause of global
3. The lowlands west of Australia's eastern mountain range are drained by the Murray-Darling River
system, with its main headwaters in the Great _______ Basin.
4. Slum areas called shantytowns occur in _________ major African cities, housing over _________
percent of urban populations.
A. some; 40
B. nearly all; 60
C. five major; 50
D. all; 70
5. With respect to Australia's aboriginal peoples, animistic religious beliefs are characterized by _______
6. A major objective of the South Pacific Forum founded in 1971 was
A. reconciling diverse cultural heritages.
B. expanding the copra trade.
C. stopping French nuclear testing in the region.
D. identifying and resolving human rights concerns in the region.
7. The Great _______ Range, running just inland along Australia's eastern coast, is that continent's only
significant mountain chain.
8. At independence, the most prosperous country of former French Western Africa was
C. Côte d'Ivoire.
9. Which of the following is true of the Antarctic Treaty System?
A. It bans commercial mining in Antarctica.
B. It was established specifically to enforce ecological regulations.
C. It's actually the Society for the Geographic Exploration of Antarctica.
D. It provides the de facto governance of the continent.
10. With respect to global connections, association with _______ offers the brightest immediate future for
many African countries.
B. the United States.
C. the European Union.
11. What are the "many islands" people also called?
12. The natural vegetation regions of sub-Saharan Africa
A. don't correspond closely to climatic regions.
B. are all characteristic of equatorial latitudes.
C. are heavily impacted by human activity.
D. only correspond to climatic conditions in areas of West Africa.
13. Tourism is the _______ industry in the world.
14. In the 1970s, the island of Nauru had one of the highest per capita incomes in the Oceania region due
to extensive _______ mining.
15. In the Southern subregion of sub-Saharan Africa, which country is mainly covered by the Kalahari
16. As of 2008, the population of Australia was 21.3 million, and the population of New Zealand was
closer to ________ million.
17. The zone along the southern margins of the Sahara is called the
18. Australian vegetation is dominated by various species of acacia and
End of exam
19. In Oceania, most towns began as
A. tribal ritual centers.
B. colonial ports.
D. capital cities.
20. In sub-Saharan Africa, female genital mutilation is
A. unheard of in Central Africa and Namibia.
B. most common in northern countries of the region.
C. uncommon in Nigeria.
D. rare in Mali.
- world geography - Ms. Sue, Saturday, June 22, 2013 at 7:01pm
I'll be glad to check your answers.
- world geography - andrea, Monday, September 9, 2013 at 5:23pm
As of 2008, the population of Australia was 21.3 million, and the population of New Zealand was closer to ________ million
Answer this Question
World Geograpy - 1. With respect to global connections, association with _______...
world geography - 1. The natural vegetation regions of sub-Saharan Africa A. ...
Geography - Which items are described by the geographic theme of place? a....
Writing - How can I end this? ____ The bridge I made a model of is the Sydney ...
world geogrsphy - which statement about australia minerals resources is accurate...
World Geo - which of the following natural hazards is not common to new zealand ...
biology - At one time the continent of Australia was connected to Asia. About 50...
Geography - Which continent is smaller in land area, Europe or Australia? ...
English - What kind of gift do you want from Australia? (What is the meaning of...
Social Studies - What is Strathfield in Australia? Is Strathfield in Sydney? Is ...