Posted by ALex on Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 10:00pm.
A q = +3.00 mC test charge is placed inside a constant uniform electric field created in a parallel plate capacitor connected to a battery of unknown voltage.
The capacitor is made of two parallel plates each with area equal to 0.250 m2 separated by a distance of 0.0400 m and with no dielectric other than vacuum. The permitivitty of vacuum is 8.85e-12 C2/Nm2.
a) If it takes 0.0320 N of force to hold the charge the stationary between the plates, what is the value of the electric field in the capacitor?
b) What is the change of potential energy of the test charge moves without assistance from one plate to the other? (note: "+" would indicated a GAIN in potential energy)
c) Through what change in voltage did the test charge move?
d) What is the voltage of the battery that charged the capacitor?
e) What is the capacitance of the capacitor in picofarads?
- Physics - Elena, Friday, June 21, 2013 at 4:39am
E= - grad φ
E=Δφ/Δx= Δφ/d =>
Δφ=Ed= 10.67•0.04=0.427 V.
ΔPE = - Work of electric field=
=-q•Δφ=-0.003•0.427= -1.28•10⁻³ J.
ε₀=8.85 •10⁻¹² F/m,
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - a parallel plate capacitor has an area of 5cm^2 and a capacitance of 3...
- Physics - A parallel plate capacitor has a rectangular plates with length 5cm ...
- College Physics - A 12.0- A 12.0- A 12.0-V battery remains connected to a ...
- physics parallel plate - A proton traveling at a speed 1.0*106 m/s of enters the...
- physics - parallel plate capacitor has an area of 5cm^2 and a capacitance of 3....
- please help physics - parallel plate capacitor has an area of 5cm^2 and a ...
- Physics - Two parallel plate capacitors have circular plates. The magnitude of ...
- physics - I have no clue: Two parallel plate capacitors have circular plates. ...
- Physics - Two plates, each of area 3.40*10-4 m2, are used to construct a ...
- 12th grade - A certain parallel plate capacitor consists of two identical ...