Posted by Yolanda on Monday, June 17, 2013 at 11:18pm.
My monthly mortgage payments are $4,369.66 for 30 years at 8%, what is the original cost of the house?
Math - MathMate, Tuesday, June 18, 2013 at 7:08am
We need to know how often interest is accrued. It is not always equal to the payment frequency. Some banks compound every 3 months, some six months, and some a year.
For lack of information, we will assume that interest is compounded monthly, which simplifies the calculations.
To do the calculations, we assume:
A=amount of payment per period (month) = $4369.66
P=principal, amount borrowed
i=interest per period (month)=0.08/12
n=number of periods (month) = 30*12=360
We equate the future value of the amount borrowed and the future value of the payments, as follows:
The first payment is assumed to be made at the end of the first period.
The last term represents the last payment.
The right hand side factorizes to:
So the whole equation becomes:
P(1+i)^n=A((1+i)^n -1) /i
Which means that
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A mortgage of 200 000 is required to purchase a house. The mortgage will ...
- Math - If my monthly mortgage payments for a house that costs $132, 905. The ...
- Math - Personal Finance - Ina is negotiating a mortgage of $145 000 for her new ...
- Finance - Rob and laura wish to buy a new home. The price is $187,500 and they ...
- accounting - House mortgage You have just purchased a house and have obtained a...
- Finance - You take out a 30 year $100000 mortgage loan with an apr of 6% and ...
- finance - You take out a 25-year $210,000 mortgage loan with an APR of 12% and ...
- cis - 1. Find a mortgage loan calculator to determine what your monthly payments...
- Finance - You take out a 30-year $100,000 mortgage loan with an APR of 6 percent...
- math - The Johnsons have accumulated a nest egg of $19,000 that they intend to ...