Posted by John on Monday, June 10, 2013 at 10:34am.
If the length of a conductor is doubled, the resistance will be ___ the original resistance.
A. less than - i think its A?
B. equal to
A resistor most suited to dissipating high power levels would be:
A. Thick film resistor - i think it's A?
B. Wire wound resistor
C. Carbon resistor
D. Metal film resistor - i'm worried it might be D?
- Physics (Tricky) - bobpursley, Monday, June 10, 2013 at 10:43am
You are guessing, and hoping I will let you answer graze. You are wrong on both.
- Physics (Tricky) - John, Monday, June 10, 2013 at 10:59am
i'm stuck on these question for ages now, help!!
- Physics (Tricky) - Steve, Monday, June 10, 2013 at 12:14pm
Think about resistance. If electrons want to get from one end of the conductor to the other, it would naturally seem likely that making the length greater would increase the resistance, since there's more material to penetrate.
Surely if you consult your class material, or even *gasp* google, you will come to see that resistance is directly proportional to the length, and inversely proportional to the cross-section area of the conductor.
So, doubling the length doubles the resistance. Doubling the diameter cuts the resistance by a factor of 4.
In about 1 minute on google I found
which explains this.
Try it for the other question, and come back with what you found if you are still stuck.
- Physics (Tricky) - John, Monday, June 10, 2013 at 12:32pm
Thanks for all the answer, also now that you put it that way Steve, it makes a lot more sense ! thank you for your time !!
- Physics (Tricky) - JOshua, Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 10:19pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Three resistors having the same resistance value are wired in parallel...
- physics - A wire of length L m has 2 ohms resistance. It is stretched twice its...
- Physics!! Help!!!!! - A wire of length L and cross-sectional area A has ...
- Physics - The nominal resistance R of the resistor used in this experiment was ...
- physics - please check these 3: if the batteries in a portable CD player provide...
- Physics - plz any one i am abit confused can you answer these questions thx 05. ...
- physics - A resistor of resistance R is connected to a power supply of constant ...
- science - plz any one i am abit confused can you answer these questions thx 05. ...
- PreCalc - The total electrical resistance R of two resistors connected in ...
- Science - 3 resistors having the same resistance value are wired in parallel, ...