Posted by Lanny on .
1. To what is amplitude related?
B. the maximum displacement from the rest position
C. neither A nor B
D. both A and B
2. Suppose two waves collide and the temporary combined wave that results is smaller than the original waves. What term best describes this interaction?
B. destructive interference
C. standing wave formation
3. Transverse and longitudinal waves both
B. transfer energy through a medium.
C. move at right angles to the vibration of the medium.
D. are capable of moving the medium a long distance.
4. In refraction, when a wave travels from one medium to another, it
A. changes speeds.
B. stays in step.
C. always moves in the same direction.
5. When a wave strikes a solid barrier, it behaves like a basketball hitting a backboard. This wave behavior is called
6. Which type of mechanical wave needs a source of energy to produce it?
B. a longitudinal wave
C. a surface wave
D. all of the above
7. A wave has a wavelength of 10 mm and a frequency of 5.0 hertz. What is its speed?
A. 50 mm/s
C. 2.0 mm/s
D. 0.50 mm/s
8. Figure 17-1 shows a wave movement during 1 second. What is the frequency of this wave?
A. 2 hertz
B. 2 meters/second
C. 0.5 second
Physical Science -
8 ??? λ=v/f