Posted by Jake on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 10:07pm.
A) Determine the pH of a 0.98 x 10^-2 mol L solution of hydrocyanic acid (HCN) Ka = 4.0 x 10^-10
B) What is the pH of a 0.243mol L solution of methylamine? (pKb for CH3NH2 = 3.30)
C) determine the pH of a buffer solution of Na2CO3 (pkb = 3.68, 0.125 M) and NaHco3 (0.35M)
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:23am
...........HCN ==> H^+ + CN^-
Substitute the E line into the Ka expression and solve for x = (H^+) then convert to pH.
.......CH3NH2 + HOH ==> CH3NH3^+ + OH^-
Set up an ICE chart as in A above, substitute into Kb and solve for x = OH^-, then convert to pH.
Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
pH = pKa + log (base)/(acid)
You know pKb, convert to pKa.
You know M base (Na2CO3) and M acid(NaHCO3)
Post your work if you get stuck on any of these.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A few questions I don't really get and need to see the work for A 50...
- AP Chemistry - CH3NH2(aq)+H2O(l)=>CH3NH3+(aq)+OH-(aq) Kb=4.4 x 10^-4 ...
- chemistry - CH3NH2(aq)+H2O(l)=>CH3NH3+(aq)+OH-(aq) Kb=4.4 x 10^-4 Methylamine...
- Chemistry - A solution is prepared by diluting 65.0 mL of 0.175 M methylamine, ...
- chemistry - What ratio [CH3NH3+]/[CH3NH2] is needed to prepare a buffer solution...
- Chemistry - Find the pH of a buffer that consists of 0.82 M methylamin (CH3NH2) ...
- chemistry - Hydrocyanic acid (HCN) is a much weaker acid than nitrous acid (HNO2...
- Chemistry Kb question need to clarify something - the pKb for methylamine is 3....
- Chemistry - I'm trying do this question: 0.10 mol/L hydrochloric acid is ...
- CHEMISTRY - Methylamine (CH3NH2) forms hydroxide ions in aqueous solution. Why ...