Posted by Candy on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 9:57pm.
The roots of the quadratic equation x^2-mx+n=0 ,where m and n are integers ,are a and 1/4a.
(i)Find the sum and product of its roots
(ii)show that 4m^2=25n
How to do part 2 ?
- amath - Reiny, Monday, June 3, 2013 at 10:30pm
You must be studying the property of the roots of a quadratic, where
sum of roots = -b/a
product of roots = c/a
so for x^2 - mx + n
the sum of the roots = m
product of the roots = n
but you are given the roots as a and 1/4a
sum of roots = a + 1/4a = (5/4)a
product of roots = (1/4)a^2
so (5/4)a = m --- >a = 4m/5 or a2 = 16m^2/25
(1/4)a^2 = n --- a^2 = 4n
thus: 16m^2/25 = 4n
16m^2 = 100n
4m^2 = 25n
- amath - Candy, Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:52am
ohh I get it !! thanks a lot :))
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Given the roots, 1/2 and 4, find: (A) The quadratic equation 2x^2-9x+4...
- Precalculus - "Show that x^6 - 7x^3 - 8 = 0 has a quadratic form. Then find the ...
- Math - I can't remember how you find the roots of quadratic equations other than...
- Math (Algebra) - If the ratio of the roots of the quadratic equation x^2−...
- Algebra2 - Find the polynomials roots to each of the following problems: #1) x^2...
- Math - I can't seem remember the rules for this.Can someone please help me with ...
- Alg 2 - By what amount does the sum of the roots exceed the product of the roots...
- algebra - if a quadratic equation with real coefficents has a discriminant of 10...
- Algebra - The equation x^2+px+q=0, q cannot be equal to 0, has two unequal roots...
- Edge ah am us ,maths - if the sum of the roots and product of the roots of ax^3-...