Posted by Paige on Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 6:39pm.
Joe weighs 30 lbs less than twice ken's weight. If ken gains 10 pounds then together they would weigh 250 pounds. How much does each of them weigh? let x be ken's weight.
Math - bonjo, Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 6:46pm
Joe weighs 30lbs less than 2wice kens weight
ken gains 10lbs, then 2gether would weigh 250
(x+10)+J = 250
solve them simultaneously..
hope that helps
Math - Paige, Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 6:48pm
im confused can you explain a little more cause i need a full equation and im really confused
Math - bonjo, Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 7:10pm
you need to construct simultaneous equations from the information;
first equation is from; Joe weighs 30lbs less than 2wice kens weight. and x is ken's weight. so twice kens weight is 2x. 30lbs less than twice kens weight is 2x-30. these equals to Joes weight
we cannot work with this equation alone because, there are two unknowns J and x. so we need another equation which is obtained from; If ken gains 10 pounds then together they would weigh 250 pounds.
i.e. if ken gains 10lbs (x+10), then together (with J) will equal to 250.
(x+10)+J = 250 (2)
Now we can solve for each weight either by substitution or elimination method..
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Joe weighs 30 lbs less than twice ken's weight. If ken gains 10 pounds ...
- math - 4 PART Your weight on different planets is affected by gravity. An object...
- math - The ratio of an objects weight on earth to its weight on Neptune is 5:7. ...
- math - at 7:00am joe starts jogging at 6 mi/h. at 7:10 am ken starts after him. ...
- math - A and B weigh 156 pounds. A and C weigh 171 pounds. How much do they each...
- Algebra - Jay weighs 20 pounds more than Dan whose weight is twice what Kirsten'...
- maths - ken has 4 times as much money as Jake. if Jake gave Ken £360 he would ...
- algebra 1 - ASTRONOMY- an object's weight on mars can be found by multiplying 0....
- Math - The amount allowed in weight per bus is 221 pounds. My friend weighs 60 ...
- physics - Ray's weight is 3 times the weight of his sister. His dad weighs twice...