Posted by mysterychicken on Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 3:00pm.
Can I please get some help on these questions:
1. If , find the value of 2 square root of 17-x = 2x-10, find the value of x/4.
2. If absolute value of 3x+6 < 9, then which of the following is a possible value of x ?
My answer choices are -7, 1, -5, -1, 10. When I solve for x, I get x<1, so can't it be -7, -5, OR -1?
3. If 5<absolute value of 2x+1<11, then which of the following is a possible value of x ?
I get 2<x<5, My answer choices are -6, -4, 2, -3, and 5.
4. If y is inversely proportional to x and y = 8 when x = 1.55, what is the value of x when y = -0.62?
I'm not sure on this
5. Simplify the following expression: 41abc(-1 + z)-41abcz
Thanks to anyone who can help me!
- SAT Math - mysterychicken, Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 3:02pm
#1 is worded wrong, if 2 square root of 17-x = 2x-10, find the value of x/4.
- SAT Math - Steve, Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 3:16pm
#1 Can't quite parse the problem, but if
2√(17-x) = 2x-10
√(17-x) = x - 5
17-x = x^2 - 10x + 25
x^2 - 9x + 8 = 0
(x-1)(x-8) = 0
x = 1 or 8
but x=1 does not fit the original equation, so x=8, and x/4 = 2
#2 Recall that |n| = n if n>=0 and -n if n<0
if 3x+6>=0, then
3x+6 < 9
x < 1
If 3x+6 < 0,
-(3x+6) < 9
-3x - 6 < 9
-3x < 15
x > -5
so -5 < x < 1
Looks like -1 is the only choice.
Think of the graph of |x|. It is a V-shape. So, if |x| < n you get the pointy part of the v below the line y=n.
5 < |2x+1| < 11
This is just a sneaky way of getting you to solve two inequalities in one problem. You end up with
-6 < x < -3 or 2 < x < 5
Looks like -4 is the only choice.
y = k/x
8 = k/1.55
k = 12.4
so, when y = -.62
-.62 = 12.4/x
x = -20
41abc(-1 + z)-41abcz
ever heard of the distributive property?
41abc(-1) + 41abc(z) - 41abcz
-41abc + 41abcz - 41abcz
- SAT Math - mysterychicken, Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 3:46pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math PLEASE HELP ASAP - -PLEASE INCLUDE SOLUTIONS AND EXPLAIN HOW YOU DID IT ...
- CALCULUS! PLEASE HELP URGENT! - Which of the following functions have a ...
- Algebra - How do you get the vertex of this absolute value? y = -2 |4x - 1| + 16...
- math, help - For the following set, which number has the largest absolute value...
- absolute value sign - Hi. for a square root equation with variables such as x or...
- math-calculus - which of following statements is false 1. The absolute value of ...
- algebra - (1) if root x-a/x-b + a/b = root x-b/x-a + b/a, b not equal to a, then...
- SAT math - 1. If square root of 3x-11 +10 = 17, find the value of 10 x . I don't...
- math !!!!!!please part of a major grade!!!!!! - when in the absolute value of x ...
- calculus - I have three questions I'm having a terrible time with: 1)Find, if ...