You think someone will do your work for you? That won't happen here, but we will check your answers if you post them.
sorry i should have added my answers before hand, here are my answers.
1. Which of Yeats's poem opens with the symbol of a gyre, a spiral spinning out of control? (1 point)
"Sailing to Byzantium"
"The Second Coming"(My Answer)
"When You Are Old"
"A Prayer For My Daughter"
2. Which of the following lines reflects the narrator's epiphany in "Araby"? (1 point)
"Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger."
"I could not find any sixpenny entrance and, fearing that the bazaar would be closed, I passed in quickly through the turnstile..."
"—If I go, I said, I will bring you something."(My Answer)
"My uncle said he was very sorry he had forgotten."
3. Virginia Woolf’s essay “A Room of One’s Own” refers to a bishop who said that cats do not (1 point)
write great plays.
dance with dogs.
go to heaven.(My Answer)
4. What mood is reflected in T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"? (1 point)
uncertain and tentative
bright and hopeful
dark and somber(My Answer)
confused and frustrated
5. Which of these lines reflects of internal rhyme in "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas? (1 point)
"And you, my father, there on the sad height."
"Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray."(My Answer)
"Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay"
"Do not go gentle into that good night."
6. How does Thomas describe fire in "Fern Hill"? (1 point)
green as grass
flashing into the dark
lovely and watery
dancing in the night(My Answer)
7. Which of these is an example of humor of character in “A Shocking Accident” by Graham Greene? (1 point)
Jerome’s father being killed by a falling pig
Jerome's asking if his father was shot through the heart(My Answer)
the aunt's explaining how careful her brother was by giving the example of his carrying the water filter
the schoolmaster holding back laughter as he tells Jerome about his father's accident.
8. What poetic device is Sigfried Sassoon using in "Dreamers" when the following phrases begin his lines?
Soldiers are citizens…
Soldiers are sworn to action…
Soldiers are dreamers…
9. The tone of “Dreamers” by Siegfried Sassoon can best be described as (1 point)
Read this excerpt from “Shooting an Elephant” by George Orwell.
“They had not shown much interest in the elephant when he was merely ravaging their homes, but it was different now that he was going to be shot.”
10. This excerpt is an example of (1 point)
humor of situation.
11. Choose the word with the same denotative meaning as formidable in the following passage:
…these difficulties were infinitely more formidable... (1 point)
12. In “A Sunrise on the Veld” by Doris Lessing, why does the boy decide not to shoot the buck? (1 point)
It was already dead.
It could no longer feel any pain.
He was out of bullets.(My Answer)
He didn’t want to make any noise.
13. Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" is a fixed form poem. What type of poem is it? (1 point)
a free verse poem(My Answer)
14. In "Dulce et Decorum Est," what had some men lost? (1 point)
15. In "Dreamers," soldiers think of ____ when the battle begins. (1 point)
brave deeds(My Answer)
Answer this Question
English - In "The Second Coming," what is Yeats' prophecy for modern ...
English - Please check my answers! Thanks :) 1. In Yeats’s poem “The Second ...
English 12 - can someone check my answers please? 1. Which of Yeats's poem opens...
english - I need help coming up with ideas for a double-voiced poem (aka: poem ...
English - My Son"s acrostic poem about SEASIDE Summer time is fun Everybody are ...
english - hey people!! im new here and i just got an essay to do on english ...
science - Why does the current not flow to the gyre's center but instead flows ...
English-Friendship Poem - I've read through this friendship poem, and now I need...
English - Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help me find or explain ...
English - I need to write a poem in the style of an American romantic poet. I ...