Posted by Kate on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:17pm.
I was wondering what kind of poem "Dream Variations" by Langston Hughes is? I've narrowed it down to blank verse or free verse but I'm not sure. Please help. Here is the poem:
To fling my arms wide
In some place of the sun,
To whirl and to dance
Till the white day is done.
Then rest at cool evening
Beneath a tall tree
While night comes on gently,
Dark Like Me---
That is my dream!
To fling my arms wide
In the face of the sun,
Dance! Whirl! Whirl!
Till the quick day is done.
Rest at pale evening...
A tall, slim tree...
Night coming tenderly
Black like me.
- AP English Lit - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:20pm
It's not blank verse because there is a rhyme pattern there. Can you hear it?
I don't think it's free verse either:
- AP English Lit - Kate, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:27pm
I think your right but I've no idea what else it could be. I don't know what to do.
- AP English Lit - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:33pm
It's a form of lyric poetry. Read why:
- AP English Lit - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:35pm
There are two stanzas. The first stanza has 9 lines; the second one, 2.
The even-numbered lines rhyme ... and the rhyme pattern is identical in both stanzas.
The rhythm is what is referred to in that linked article as musical.
It's an absolutely wonderful poem. I hope you read it aloud several times!!
- AP English Lit - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:38pm
This article is also very good:
- AP English Lit - Kate, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:39pm
Thank you so much! I appreciate it.
- AP English Lit - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 1:49pm
You're very welcome!
Answer this Question
- Literature - I need help writing a free verse poem on a newspaper article I read...
- English - CHECK PLEASE?! Part 1: Poem Structure "Annbel lee" by edgar allen poe ...
- English - Part 1: Poem Structure "Annbel lee" by edgar allen poe Check PLEASE...
- English - I am trying to look for 20 lines of blank verse in shakespeare's play...
- english - is there a poem that uses a lot of rhetorical devices by Langston ...
- English 10-Check/Help - Part 1: Poem Structure Check my following answers below...
- Langston Hughes - Explain the use of repetition of the pronoun "I". The poem is...
- English - Do you mean Raisin in the Sun? (no "dry" in it) b cuz that's what I'm ...
- English - In a free verse poem do you need punctuation?
- Post the poem? - Refugee in America" by Langston Hughes So I cannot follow links...