Posted by adam on Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:09pm.
You want to estimate the height of the Empire State Building. You start at its base and walk 15 m away. Then you approximate the angle from the ground at that point to the top to be 88 degrees. How tall do you estimate the Empire State Building to be?
- Ms Sue help - adam, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:14pm
An anchor holding a boat stationary on a river forms a 65 degree angle with the river bottom. The anchor line is 40 meters long. Assuming the river has a uniform depth, how deep is the river directly below the boat?
- Mathematics Ms Sue help - adam, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:15pm
sorry for the repost. thanks for all your help you provide everybody on the daily
- Mathematics Ms Sue help - Reiny, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:20pm
If you look at your diagram, you should see a right-angled triangle, with base angle 88°, opposite = ? = height
and adjacent = 15 m
so height/15 = tan88
height = 15tan88 = appr 429.5m
- Mathematics Ms Sue help - Steve, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:21pm
for the building,
h/18 = tan 88°
for the boat,
d/40 = sin 65°
for stuff like this, it always helps to draw a diagram, then dig into your box of trig ratios
- Mathematics Ms Sue help - Reiny, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:22pm
For you second question...
this time you know the hypotenuse and the opposite side, so you know you must dealing with the sine ration
sin 65 = height/40
height = 40sin65 = appr 36.25 m
- Mathematics Ms Sue help - adam, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:25pm
thanks for all you guys helps. drawing shows a better concept then straight digging it thanks
- Mathematics Ms Sue help - Tally, Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 4:27pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math/Physics - Lil decides to estimate the height of the Empire State Building. ...
- precal - A contractor needs to know the height of a building to estimate the ...
- Math - Ramsay is standing 2906 ft away from the base of the Empire State ...
- Pre calculus - From h a point A that is 10 meters abov level ground, the angle ...
- Pre-Cal/Trig - Explain how to solve the following question. Surveying: From a ...
- Precalculus - To estimate the height of a building, two students find the angle ...
- Physics. - You are at the top of the Empire State Building on the 102nd floor, ...
- mathematics - algebra - On the way to the office, Susan was told that when she ...
- TRIG Help help help test tommarow - A TV tower stands on top of the Empire State...
- TRIG WORD PROBLEMS - from 25 feet away from the base of a building, the angle of...