Posted by adam on Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:09pm.
You want to estimate the height of the Empire State Building. You start at its base and walk 15 m away. Then you approximate the angle from the ground at that point to the top to be 88 degrees. How tall do you estimate the Empire State Building to be?
Ms Sue help - adam, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:14pm
An anchor holding a boat stationary on a river forms a 65 degree angle with the river bottom. The anchor line is 40 meters long. Assuming the river has a uniform depth, how deep is the river directly below the boat?
Mathematics Ms Sue help - adam, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:15pm
sorry for the repost. thanks for all your help you provide everybody on the daily
Mathematics Ms Sue help - Reiny, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:20pm
If you look at your diagram, you should see a right-angled triangle, with base angle 88°, opposite = ? = height
and adjacent = 15 m
so height/15 = tan88
height = 15tan88 = appr 429.5m
Mathematics Ms Sue help - Steve, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:21pm
for the building,
h/18 = tan 88°
for the boat,
d/40 = sin 65°
for stuff like this, it always helps to draw a diagram, then dig into your box of trig ratios
Mathematics Ms Sue help - Reiny, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:22pm
For you second question...
this time you know the hypotenuse and the opposite side, so you know you must dealing with the sine ration
sin 65 = height/40
height = 40sin65 = appr 36.25 m
Mathematics Ms Sue help - adam, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:25pm
thanks for all you guys helps. drawing shows a better concept then straight digging it thanks
Mathematics Ms Sue help - Tally, Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 4:27pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math/Physics - Lil decides to estimate the height of the Empire State Building. ...
- Precalculus - To estimate the height of a building, two students find the angle ...
- precal - A contractor needs to know the height of a building to estimate the ...
- Pre-Calculus - 1.The angle of elevation to top of a building from a point on the...
- Pre calculus - From h a point A that is 10 meters abov level ground, the angle ...
- TRIG Help help help test tommarow - A TV tower stands on top of the Empire State...
- Pre-Cal/Trig - Explain how to solve the following question. Surveying: From a ...
- Math - Trig - 1. From a point 15m from the base of a tree, the angle of ...
- Math - Ramsay is standing 2906 ft away from the base of the Empire State ...
- math - From 70 feet away from the base of a tree on level ground, the angle to ...