Posted by Kate on Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:49pm.
I have a question that I'm stuck on. Do you know what kind of poem William Butler Yeats's poem "When You Are Old" is? That is, is it a sonnet or an epic or something else altogether? Please help! Here is the poem:
<strong>When You Are Old</strong>
When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim Soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
I appreciate it and thank you.
- AP English Lit - Writeacher, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:55pm
It's definitely not an epic!! Iliad and Odyssey and Beowulf are epics!!
Sonnets have 14 lines and are written in iambic pentameter (which means there are 10 syllables per line, with the emphasis on the even syllables.
Let us know what you decide.
- AP English Lit - Kate, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 3:03pm
Well, it's not a sonnet because it has 12 lines. So, I'm not sure but I think it's blank verse? Maybe. But, it might also be couplets.
By the way, thanks for getting back to me.
- AP English Lit - Writeacher, Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:39pm
Notice the word "unrhymed" in this definition.
The poem has three stanzas of 4 lines each. Couplets are 2 lines in each stanza. What is the 4-line stanza called?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Sonnet 130 and sonnet 18 - Hi, I'm doing some questions about comparing and ...
- English Literature - Question: Explain why Beowulf is an epic poem and why ...
- English - beowulf - so Beowulf is an epic poem but what sorts of conflicts with ...
- English 9 - poem with 14 lines and 10 syllables vent about ONE THING you HATE - ...
- english - Which of the following statements BEST explains why "I Am Offering ...
- English - I don't understand this poem. Well, I understad the first part until ...
- English:Poetry - Hi beautiful people :) For English we need to select a poem and...
- English - Hey I need my answers checked to see if they're right. These answers ...
- english - A poem in the 1930-1960's that relates to "How To Kill A Mockingbird"?...
- lit - can someone help me start a sonnet poem on what is winning.