Posted by Rosie on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 10:32pm.
Consider the following functions
f(x)= (7x+8)/(x+3) and g(x)= (3x-8)/(7-x)
(a) Find g(g(x))
(b) Find g(f(x))
(c) Determine whether the functions f and g are inverses of each other.
College Algebra! help! - Reiny, Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 10:47pm
= [3(3x-8)/(7-x) - 8]/( 7 - (3x-8)/(7-x) )
= [ (9x-24-56+8x)/(7-x)] / (49-7x-3x+8)/(7-x)]
= (17x - 80)/(57 - 10x)
b) do this in the same way I just showed you
c) let's take the inverse of f(x)
let y = (7x+8)/(x+3)
for the inverse, interchange the x and y
x = (7y+8)/(y+3)
xy + 3x = 7y + 8
xy - 7y = 8-3x
y(x-7) = 8-3x
y = (8-3x)/(x-7) = (3x - 8)/(7 - x) = g(x)
yes , they are inverses of each other.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- pre calculus - consider the functions f(x)=x^3-3 and g(x)=3 sqrt x+3: a. find f(...
- Consider the functions - Consider the functions f(x)= 5x+4/x+3(This is a ...
- math - consider the functions f(x)=x^3-2 and g(x)=3 sqrt x+2: a. find f(g(x)) b...
- math-please I really need help!!!!! - Consider the functions f(x)=2x+8/x+6; g(x...
- Algebra-Functions - Could you please check my answers and help me with two ...
- Algebra 2 - for the functions f(x) = 5x +50 and g(x) = 1/5x -10 evaluate both f(...
- College Algebra - Verify the function f and g, are inverses of each other by ...
- Math - Inverse Functions - Find the inverses of the following functions. y = 3(x...
- Math - If the inverses of two functions are both functions, will the inverse of ...
- Algebra - Right now we are learning about functions, relations, etc. and I am ...