Posted by M on Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 10:08am.
1. Which of the following is correct in regard to the use of formal English?
A. Formal English is used more frequently in speaking than in writing.
B. In formal business correspondence, it's best keep the language impersonal.
C. Contractions are considered acceptable in any document.
D. In formal English, we use words to say precisely what we mean.
2. An interjection is always
A. preceded by preposition.
B. followed by an exclamation point.
C. related to another word in the sentence.
D. intended to show feeling.
3. Which sentence contains both an adverb and a conjunction?
A. Lucille was a kind person, but she hated people who spread rumors.
B. Don't imagine you can't do as you wish.
C. Do you want the shrimp or the crab?
D. Lawson crept silently up the stairs, but couldn't still his heartbeat.
4. For the greeting in a business letter when you don't know the name of the person who will be reading it,
which of the following is least likely to conform to present-day usage?
A. Dear Mr. Givens
B. Dear Mrs. Carleton
C. Dear Editor
D. Dear Sir
5. Choose the connective that belongs in the blank in the following sentence.
Everyone appeared to be having a good time. _______, my impressions may have been wrong.
A. In fact
B. In other words
C. Of course
6. Sentence (i) has been shortened in sentence (ii) by using a(n) _______.
(i) She likes a location that is in the sun.
(ii) She likes a sunny location.
7. Choose the connective that belongs in the blank.
She left the party early. Next she went to a movie. _______ she went home.
8. Which of the following topics would lend itself only to a formal style of writing?
A. How I Lost 10 Pounds
B. Psychological Effects of Nuclear Weapons
C. Folk Songs I Have Sung
D. Why Living in the Country Is Better Than Living in the City
9. Which of the following sentences has a relative clause?
A. The bus stopped at the corner, but she forgot to get off.
B. Tony ate the pizza and then went to the movies.
C. The audience applauded the ambassador, who spoke for one-half hour.
D. Many young people are searching for jobs.
10. Which of the following is the best opening sentence for a business letter that you want to sound fairly
A. Please be advised that I've just received your order.
B. This letter is to make you cognizant of our receipt of your order.
C. Your order of February 10 arrived in our office today.
D. I am in receipt of your order of February 10.
11. Two things to keep in mind when you're deciding whether to use formal or informal English are the
A. opinion and the occasion.
B. reader and the location.
C. reader and the audience.
D. occasion and the audience.
12. Which of the following is a complex sentence?
A. I simply cannot make heads or tails of rap lyrics, but I suppose I'm just too old to understand them.
B. Check out the editorial page in today's paper and you'll notice the piece by Oscar Lewis.
C. I would like to visit the Kinshasa, but I understand the city is unsafe for foreigners.
D. As Jake was reading the letter from June yet again, the flight attendant coughed gently to get his attention.
13. Choose the connective that belongs in the blank in the following sentence.
I like to play baseball. _______, I can't throw a ball very well.
A. For instance
B. In fact
14. What is the name of the common error in the following sentence?
Having risen because of the rains, the hikers were unable to cross the river.
A. Prepositional phrase
B. Run-on sentence
C. Dangling modifier
D. Infinitive phrase
15. Which of the following is a way you could begin an essay that's about the medical uses of iodine?
A. Although iodine is useful for medical treatments, so are other elements like oxygen, radium, and barium.
B. Last summer, a splinter in my brother's leg became infected, which led to blood poisoning. He could have prevented the
problem with a few drops of iodine.
C. The Winter Olympics of 1980 took place in the beautiful area of Lake Placid, New York. Lake Placid is nestled in the
D. Silver iodide is used in photography. Photography is a widespread form of art, and it has become more popular than painting.
16. A clause from sentence (i) has been turned into a(n) _______ in sentence (ii).
(i) Since she knew what the lecture was about, she didn't attend the meeting.
(ii) Knowing what the lecture was about, she didn't attend the meeting.
A. relative pronoun
B. compound predicate
17. Which of the following sentences has a dangling modifier?
A. When the storm began to abate, we went home.
B. The dog that is man's best friend is cat's worst enemy.
C. By the light of the moon, I tripped over a rock.
D. On the way to the bank, the interest rates went down.
End of exam
18. Which of the following groups of words is a sentence fragment?
A. Stop by the garden.
B. When we stopped by the garden.
C. We stopped; she didn't.
D. Stopping by the garden, we saw that the flowers were in bloom.
19. Which of these is a run-on sentence?
A. Before lunch, I played volleyball; after lunch I did again.
B. I thought about what he'd said soon I realized he was right.
C. You and I and the whole team will go.
D. I went home and ate and ate.
20. Which of the following statements about connecting paragraphs is correct?
A. A good connection between two paragraphs is an implied transition.
B. Two paragraphs may be joined by an action verb.
C. You can use a pointing word that that refers to a word in the previous paragraph.
D. You can't state an idea in paragraph 2 that's related to an idea in paragraph 1.
- Writing skills 1 - Writeacher, Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 10:31am
I think you're guessing. I disagree with more of your answers in the first 10 than I agree with.
1. B - disagree
2. D - agree
3. A - disagree
4. D - unsure
5. A - disagree
6. B - disagree
7. B - agree
8. D - disagree
9. C - agree
10. B - disagree
Please reread, restudy, rethink ... and repost when you're ready.
- Writing skills 1 - tiffany, Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 10:55am
12. Sentence (i) has been shortened in sentence (ii) by using a(n) _______.
(i) She likes a location that is in the sun.
(ii) She likes a sunny location.
- Writing skills 1 - Pete, Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 3:23pm
- Writing skills 1 - Alyssa, Monday, September 29, 2014 at 12:25am
The answer for the number 20 is wrong. I just took a quiz and I picked that one and it turned out to be wrong.
- Writing skills 1 - helper, Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 11:34pm
1. D. In formal English, we use words to say precisely what we mean.
3. D. Lawson crept silently up the stairs, but couldn't still his heartbeat.
4. D. Dear Sir
6. C. adjective
7. B. Finally
8. B. Psychological Effects of Nuclear
10. D. I am in receipt of your order of February 10.
11. D. occasion and the audience.
12. D. As Jake was reading the letter from June yet again, the flight attendant coughed gently to get his attention.
13. D. However
15. B. Last summer, a splinter in my brother's leg became infected, which led to blood poisoning. He could have prevented the
17. D. On the way to the bank, the interest rates went down.
20. C. You can use a pointing word that that refers to a word in the previous paragraph.
- Writing skills 1 - helper, Friday, January 9, 2015 at 12:13am
5. C. Of course
this is the right answer!!
- Writing skills 1 - uuuiu, Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 4:15pm
they are wrong redo the whole page
- writing skills 1 - -1', Monday, February 8, 2016 at 11:26am
- -1' - 1, Monday, February 8, 2016 at 11:26am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- writing skills - 11. Which of the following is correct in regard to the use of ...
- Grammar - Which of the following is correct in regard to the use of formal ...
- English - I need a more formal word or phrase for saying "beat up." My sentance ...
- English!_+ check please! - Rank the following sentences from most formal to ...
- English - What, if anything, is wrong with the following sentence. To be fit, ...
- english - In the text box provided below, type the research report according to...
- business communication - The language style of minutes reflects the type of ...
- business english - during a group meeting when they are each eading a draft of ...
- english - how can i revise this sentence using more formal word choices. I spend...
- English - When preparing a formal business presentation, the phase that can make...