Posted by anna on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 6:09pm.
A coffee shop sells small cups of coffee and large cups of coffee.
A small cup of coffee costs $2.
A large cup of coffee costs $3.
On Tuesday, the store sold a total of 155 cups of coffee for a total of $335.
How many small cups of coffee did the store sell on Tuesday?
- algebra - MathMate, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 8:18pm
x=number of small cups
y=number of large cups
form the system of equations
Solve the system for x and y.
Quick way by substituting directly:
Let 155-x=number of large cups
Solve the linear equation for x.
Faster way by mental calculations:
Assume all sold are small,
Money left-over = $335-310 = 25
Exchange 25 small cups for 25 large cups for $25, so
small cups = 155-25=130
large cups = 25.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - A shop sells coffee and donuts. The coffee sells for $4.31 and donuts ...
- Maths - A coffee urn holds 12 litres when full. Harry fills coffee cups from the...
- maths - A coffee urn holds 12 litres when full. Harry fills coffee cups from the...
- Chemistry - At a local convenience store, you purchase a cup of coffee, but, at ...
- Algebra - Hot Java Coffee Company adverties their decaffeinated coffee as 97% ...
- Math - At Uriah's coffee shop, the amount of ground coffee beans left in stock ...
- MATH MIDDLE SCHOOL - I love chocolate and coffee. I begin by making one cup of ...
- mathematics - a drinks machine dispenses coffee into cups. A sign on the machine...
- Math Middle School - Please help me solve this challenge problem: I love hot ...
- Math - The Brock family uses a 12-cup coffee maker, which leaks. For every 6 cup...