Posted by Julie on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 6:47am.
got this from my teacher,
A monopolist faces a demand curve given by the following equation: P = $500 − 10Q, where Q equals quantity sold per day. Its marginal cost curve is MC = $100 per day. Assume that the firm faces no fixed cost.
and have the answers for most, but can someone give me a bump in the right direction for the follow up -
Now suppose a tax of $100 per unit is imposed. How will this affect the firm’s price?
Economics - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 7:33am
Government adds taxes; prices go up.
Economics - Julie, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 7:38am
sorry, i understood that, but as the prices go up the output goes down.
but how can you recalculate the price. output drops to 15 in an earlier question, but i cant get my head around working out the price
Economics - Writeacher, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 7:54am
I don't know how you can predict or calculate such a thing. Some manufacturers will pass along most/all of the tax, while others will try to absorb as much as possible; still others may decide to shift their focus to other manufacturing areas; and some may decide to reduce their workforce.
Example: the new tax on manufacture of medical devices.
Economics - Julie, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 8:59am
ah ok, i see your point.
i had worked out that P = $500 - 2xQ(10x20) as MC = MR (100=100), so price was 300 and output 20.
the tax would mean a reduction in output to 15 units, by my calcs but how can i work out the corresponding price.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Economics - A monopoly firm faces a demand curve given by the following ...
- Economics/Algebra - A monopolist has a constant marginal and average cost of $10...
- economics - Suppose the demand curve for a monopolist is QD = 500 − P, and...
- microeconomic - Consider a monopolist facing a demand curve given by P = 20 – q...
- Economics - Suppose the demand curve for a monopolist is Qd = 500 – P, and the ...
- Economics - . Suppose the demand curve for a monopolist is QD =500 - P, and the ...
- monoplistic competition - Suppose that a typical firm in a monopolistically ...
- economics - A monopolist faces an upward-sloping marginal cost curve. Its ...
- Economics/Algebra - The demand curve for a monopolist is Qd = 500 - P and the ...
- Economics/Math - The demand curve for a monopolist is Qd = 500 - P and the ...