Posted by Mathslover Please help on Monday, May 6, 2013 at 12:05am.
Suppose a and b are positive integers satisfying 1≤a≤31, 1≤b≤31 such that the polynomial P(x)=x^3−ax^2+a^2b^3x+9a^2b^2 has roots r, s, and t.
Given that there exists a positive integer k such that (r+s)(s+t)(r+t)=k^2, compute the maximum possible value of ab.
Math (algebra) - hans, Monday, May 6, 2013 at 12:14pm
Math (algebra) - John, Monday, May 6, 2013 at 7:14pm
The answer is 439
Math (algebra) - Anonymous, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 12:01am
Math (algebra) - Mathslover Please help, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 12:11am
Dude Please Help
Math (algebra) - Athul, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 11:12am
implies ab-9=m^2 where m is an integer as k^2 is a perfect square
given max value of a and b can be 31 and without loss of generality we take a<b, then we find b-a =6 using ab=m^2 -9
therefore max of b=31 then a = 25 therefore ab= 775 which is 9 less than 28^2.
Math (algebra) - amgad ahmed, Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 11:21am
775 is the right answer
Math (algebra) - Mathslover Please help, Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 1:50am
thanxxxx Sir . Can yiu please do this question also
Find the sum of squares of all real roots of the polynomial f(x)=x^5−7x^3+2x^2−30x+6.
Math (algebra) - hans, Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 8:07am
Athul,can u explain why "implies ab-9=m^2 " can become " using ab=m^2 -9"?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - Suppose a and b are positive integers satisfying 1≤a≤31, 1...
- Math - A smooth partition of the integer n is a set of positive integers a 1 ,a ...
- geometry - A smooth partition of the integer n is a set of positive integers a1,...
- algebra 1 help please - 4) a student score is 83 and 91 on her first two quizzes...
- Math - Find the largest possible degree n≤1000 of a polynomial p(x) such ...
- mathematics - Suppose f(x) is a degree 8 polynomial such that f(2^i)=1/2^i for ...
- Calculus - f is a continuous function with a domain [−3, 9] such that f(x...
- PRE - CALCULUS - Eliminate the parameter t. Find a rectangular equation for the ...
- plls heeeeeeelp math - How many ordered pairs of positive integers 1≤k...
- heeeeeeeeelp math - How many ordered pairs of positive integers 1≤k≤...