Posted by mandy on Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1:11pm.
At the foot of these fairy mountains the voyager may have descried the light smoke curling up from a village whose shingle roofs gleam among the trees, just where the blue tints of the upland melt away into the fresh green of the nearer landscape. It is a little village of great antiquity, having been founded by some of the Dutch colonists, in the early times of the province, just about the beginning of the government of the good Peter Stuyvesant (may he rest in peace!), and there were some of the houses of the original settlers standing within a few years, with lattice windows, gable fronts surmounted with weathercocks, and built of small yellow bricks brought from Holland.
example of ETHOS,PATHOS LOGOS??
my answer is
English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1:23pm
english - mandy, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1:35pm
ok i got it is LOGOS because he is using reasoning
English - bobpursley, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1:40pm
Reasoning? It reads like a travel brochure, and they do not use reasoning to get you on a Cruise ship.
From Ms Sue's link
<<(Greek for 'suffering' or 'experience') is often associated with emotional appeal. But a better equivalent might be 'appeal to the audience's sympathies and imagination.' An appeal to pathos causes an audience not just to respond emotionally but to identify with the writer's point of view--to feel what the writer feels. In this sense, pathos evokes a meaning implicit in the verb 'to suffer'--to feel pain imaginatively.... Perhaps the most common way of conveying a pathetic appeal is through narrative or story, which can turn the abstractions of logic into something palpable and present. The values, beliefs, and understandings of the writer are implicit in the story and conveyed imaginatively to the reader. Pathos thus refers to both the emotional and the imaginative impact of the message on an audience, the power with which the writer's message moves the audience to decision or action. >>
english - Ms. Sue, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1:40pm
So -- what does his reasoning prove?
english - mandy, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 2:28pm
english - Writeacher, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 2:40pm
Didn't we do this yesterday? Same type of writing ... same answer:
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I forgot to include these sentences. I hope you can have a look at ...
- English; Help/Check. - Leprechauns and Fairy's; Leprechauns are fairy-like ...
- Computer science(Information Retrieval Architectur - Given the following three ...
- Algebra - A shingle falls straight down from the roof of a building that is 144 ...
- English - The following are what you should not do for safety reasons. 1. You ...
- English - We have a very beautiful place called Central Park. Many tourists ...
- Physics - Does blue light or orange light have a larger index of refraction? ...
- 4th grade-English - It will only be a day's drive to reach the mountains. Would ...
- Astronomy - Look up where Voyager 1 is now and compute how many lighthours it is...
- physics - A blue car pulls away from a red stop-light just after it has turned ...