Posted by Bob on Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 9:30am.
The ratio of men to women in the applicants for Lamborghini this year is 4:3, while the ratio of men to women in the successful applicants is 5:3, and the ratio of men to women in the rejected pile is 1:1. If the number of successful applicants is 176, what is the number of applicants?
- Math (Algebra) - Reiny, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 12:31pm
make a chart, consisting of 3 columns and 2 rows
label the columns , (M)ale (F)emale (A)pplicants
and the rows, (S)uccess and (F)ailure
--- M- F-- A
S - 5x 3x 8x
F - y .. y .. 2y
"the number of successful applicants is 176"
---> 8x = 176
x = 22
"The ratio of men to women in the applicants for Lamborghini this year is 4:3"
---> 8x/2y = 4/3
8y = 24x
y = 3x = 66
number of applicants = 8x + 2y = 176 + 132 = 308
successful males = 110
successful females = 66
for a total of successful applicants of 176 ✔
failing males = 66
failing females = 66
total male app = 110 + 66 = 176
total female app = 66 + 66 = 132
male appl : female app = 176 : 132 = 4:3 ✔
ratio of succ males : succ females = 110 : 66 = 5:3 ✔
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- 6th G-Math - If the ratio of men to women in a movie theater is 1.00 when ...
- statistics - a computer teacher has 20 students 8 who are women and 12 are men. ...
- Math 115 - A community service organization has 4 men and 21 women in its ...
- math - A community service organization has 8 men and 5 women in its membership...
- Math (ratios) - At a certain college, the ratio of the men to women is 5:4. If ...
- math - your class has 8 women and 19 men. write the number of women to men as a ...
- algebra - a math class has 26 women and 12 men. Find the ratio of men to total ...
- gr12 math - froma group of 6 ladies and 4 men, determine in how many ways a ...
- math - Suppose in a town three-fourths of the men are married to one-half of the...
- math - There is a 5 to 4 ratio of women to men at the game. If there are 360 ...