Posted by Katreena on Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 3:30am.
The longer diagonal of a parallelogram measures 62 cm and makes an angle of 30 degrees with the base. Find the area of the parallelogram if the diagonals intersect at angle of 70 degrees.
- solid mensuration - dlsu, Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 2:29am
- geometry - drowranger766, Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 9:39am
Since the angle of intersection of the diagonals is 70 degrees then the other angle of intersection of the diagonals is 110 degrees.
180 = 70 + θ
where θ = the other angle of intersection
θ = 110 degrees
A parallelogram makes 4 oblique triangles. One triangle has angles : 30, 40, and 110 degrees.
Since the diagonals intersect at their midpoints, the length of a side of one oblique triangle will measure 31 degrees (which is from 62/2).
By the given values you can solve for half the length of the shorter diagonal using the law of sines.
31/sin40 = x/sin30
where x = the length of one side of the oblique triangle and also half the length of the shorter diagonal.
x = 24.11371932 cm
2(24.11371932) = 48.23 --> length of shorter diagonal
use the formula:
Area of parallelogram = (lenth of longer diagonal x lenth of shorter diagonal x sinθ)/2
where θ = angle of intersection of the two diagonals (either 70 degrees or 110 degrees)
A = ((62 cm)(48.23)sin70)/2
A = 1404.962628 or 1405 cm^2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - The diagonal of a parallelogram 6cm and 8cm long and they intersect at ...
- Geometry - find the area of a parallelogram with diagonals of lengths 10 inches ...
- geometry - find the area of a parallelogram with diagonals of lengths 10 inches ...
- geometry - in a parallelogram, consecutive angles aresupplementary. in the ...
- Geometry - I have four questions: 1. The area of trapezoid ABCD is 60. One base ...
- geometry theorems - I have six questions which will be on a test two weeks from ...
- Pre-calculus - Find the lengths of the diagonals of a parallelogram with ...
- geometry - the measure of an angle of a parallelogram is 12 degrees less than 3 ...
- geometry - In parallelogram ABCD, BC = 8, DC = 12, and measure of angle D is 50 ...
- maths - A parallelogram has two adjacent sides of length 4cm and 6cm ...