Posted by Nikita on Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 11:25pm.
This question is based on the following excerpt from a short story.
Inside the bus, in his summer Class-A uniform with its brass glitter and infantry-blue shoulder cordon, Jamie Sabin was going home. Fort Benning would be a fading dream; Preston, Virginia, a place unknown, his future. He was in between, fumbling with puzzle pieces, making up stories about the real Jamie Sabin. Each of these he set adrift like a paper boat on a shifting sea of daydreams. He did that encased in the drone and shudder of diesel pistons and hissing tires. Jamie Sabin was going home to a place unknown.
7. In this paragraph, the paper boat is a A. simile for Jamie's past.
B. metaphor for daydreams.
C. metaphor for Jamie's past and future.
D. simile for stories Jamie makes up about himself.
English - Writeacher, Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 11:33pm
English - Nikita, Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 11:38pm
Why u disagree....8line line a paper boat.
English - Nikita, Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 11:39pm
adrift like a paper boat
English - Writeacher, Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 11:44pm
It has to be a simile because the word "like" is in the phrasing. Therefore B and C are out.
It must be A or D, so you need to determine which of those matches the idea in this part:
He was in between, fumbling with puzzle pieces, making up stories about the real Jamie Sabin. Each of these he set adrift like a paper boat on a shifting sea of daydreams.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Reading Skills - The answer to this question IS NOT "B". What is the answer to ...
- Reading Skills - Inside the bus, in his summer Class-A uniform with its brass ...
- english - Except for a few pigeons, Central Park was deserted. Mist hung above ...
- Short Story (suspense) - Feeling more secure, you start off in the direction of ...
- English - 1. I prefer to go there by bus. 2. I prefer going there by bus. 3. I ...
- English - In my class we were reading a short story call The Pedestrian by ray ...
- Story Question - Judd's heart felt like it was shattering into a million tiny ...
- english help please!! - Which of the following is not a common characteristic of...
- English - "The Lottery" (1948) by Shirley Jackson ** this website won't allow ...
- English - I am just about the processes of writing a short story and I am ...